Close
Famous Smoke

Default Herf-a-Dor questions.

I recently purchased a small herf-a-dor (link) and was wondering how to fill it. There is a small puck in the middle of the foam that seems to be where the green foam is and was wondering if I am just supposed to pour in the water right on the foam. Thanks.

the foam humidifier is supposed to be charged with 50/50 solution, not plain distilled water. Truthfully, dont bother using the foam humidifer. in airtight travel humidors, even humidifiers filled with the 50/50 solution tend too overhumidify. there are several good alternatives to the foam humidifer. first, a Boveda will work great. its cheap, and should last at least a year in an airtight travel humidor. another choice is my humidity sheets that are mentioned in the post above yours. another choice would be too take apart your humidifier, throw out the green foam, and replace with Heartfelt beads. another choice is the "puck" from Cigarmony. bottom line is dont use the humidifer that comes with your travel humi. it could damage your cigars.

I already put in distilled water, should I just leave it open and dry it out?

you can remove the humidifier from the travel humi, and let it dry out

has anyone had trouble opening their travel herf-a-dor? I closed mine (live at 1500' above sea level), drove up to 4000', then down to sea level. I couldn't open the herf-a-dor until the next day when I headed back up the mountain!

I have the 5 count herf-a-dor and dont put any water or 50-50 into it. As long as your cigars are not in it longterm IMHO there is no need to. I've had cigars in mine up to 4-5 days without any problems.The few times I had to use it longer then that I tossed in a pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by diveroger View Post
    has anyone had trouble opening their travel herf-a-dor? I closed mine (live at 1500' above sea level), drove up to 4000', then down to sea level. I couldn't open the herf-a-dor until the next day when I headed back up the mountain!
    That can also happen with herf-a-dors on airplanes.If its a problem for you they have some with a little valve on it that evens out the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by diveroger View Post
    Use a quarter to let air in. Or the valve if it's one of the larger ones.
    Alfonso

Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it...

Putting the "fun" in "malfunction" since 1989

I used a small tube of beads from HeartFelt. works great...