Close
Famous Smoke
    Co-founder &
    Administrator

Default Shoes & Online Shoe Retailer Ultimate Cage Death Match Challenge!

It's been awhile since I've posted the last challenge.
    See here: Dr. Pepper Taste Test Challenge

This time we pit the following 3 shoes AND 3 online shoe retailers together in the ultimate cage death match challenge! This should be a good experience since I have never ordered shoes off the internet, let alone ordered from these retailers nor ordered any pair of these brands. I'll be judging all aspects from start to finish and report my findings. Enjoy!

Introducing first... from Shoebuy.com
    In size 11 @ $80.29 (w/ discounts - 25% off) with free UPS Ground shipping...

Born Tribune Black

Entering the cage next... from Zappos.com
    In size 11 @ $152.95 (regular price) with free UPS Overnight shipping...

Mephisto Allrounder Black Vingage/Mesh

And finally... from Shoes.com
    In size 11 @ $289.99 (on sale - 12% off) with free UPS Ground shipping...

Mephisto Habbo Black Sportbuck

Tale of the Tape:

Price

Clearly the Born Tribune has the advantage. 50% cheaper than the Mephisto Allrounder and nearly 3 and a half times cheaper than the Mephiso Habbo.

Discounts

Shoebuy.com is the winner here. I used promo code 368378246 for 15% off and then an additional 10% off first time purchase. It knocked off $25 on the price of the Born Tribunes. Shoes.com comes in second because the Mephisto Habbos were purchased during their monthly Saturday sale. Discounted 12% and a savings of $40. Zappos.com has no discounts but offers free overnight shipping (valued around $20).

Size

All come in size 11's. It will be interesting to see if they fit! Part of the challenge is returns (if necessary).

Color

All are black. I buy black shoes 95% of the time, just a personal preference and wish more shoe manufacturers offered more.

Aesthetics

All pretty much even with a slight edge to the Born Tribune as it's a bit dressier.

Ordering

No problems with ordering from any site. All have basically the same store setup. No winner.

Shipping

Zappos.com has the unhesitant advantage with free overnight shipping. It will be interesting between the other two using the same shipping (UPS Ground) to see which gets here first.

Rules of the Bout:

12 rounds of foot-wearing action, 3 contenders, 1 death match cage

Let's get reeeeeeeeeeaddyyyy to walk-uhhhhh!"

DING! DING! DING!

UPDATES

05/12/07 3:30pm - Received order confirmations from all 3 retailers.
    05/12/07 10:30pm - Zappos.com email notification. Packed and ready to ship out on Monday... will arrive Tuesday.
    05/13/07 1:30am - Zappos.com email notification. Provided with UPS tracking number.
    05/13/07 10:00pm - Shoes.com email notification. Provided with UPS tracking number. Packed and ready to ship out on Monday... will arrive on Friday 18th.
    05/14/07 5:00pm - Mephisto Allrounders from Zappos.com have arrived
    05/14/07 6:30pm - Shoebuy.com email notification. Provided with UPS tracking number... will arrive on Monday 21st.
    05/16/07 4:00pm - Mephisto Habbos from Shoebuy.com have arrived

Results - Shoes

Born Tribune

Mephisto Allrounder

Initial thoughts: Lightweight, thin outside wall construction. Visually outside the shoe is more darker than the picture. Construction and quality seem to be good. The fit is near perfect. My first walk in these felt like I wasn't wearing any thing around the top and sides of my feet. On the bottom however, it feels like walking on bubble-wrap cushions - especially on a hard surface. It has one round quarter-sized shock absorber in the heel. I'm very impressed with this pair!

1st full day test: No problems of any kind to report. No soreness or aching feet at the end of the day. My feet feel happy. The roundish outsides of the sole and rubber raised bump design made the balance at a slight disadvantage for daily work wear. Very sporty feel to them without being a sports shoe.

Mephisto Habbo

Initial thoughts: These shoes have a more sturdy, heavier feel to them than the Allrounders. Quality is excellent. The fit is very good. Sturdy, dress shoe-like backing. The ring lace-up provides more control of the tightness on the tie. And requires more attention and time put on your feet. The flat style, slightly-arched sole has an egg-sized shock absorber at the heel and three air bags in the front at the major points of pressure. Walking on carpet felt good but walking on a hard surface feels wonderful. The air bags in the front provide awesome comfort when stepping and it massages the toes. Aesthetically, I do not see these being worn outside a work envoirnment. However, I think these will become a real workhorse for me since I work in retail and comfort is #1.

1st full day test:

Results - Shoe Retailer

Shoebuy.com

Zappos.com

Shipping: I've never, ever experienced faster shipping from any online retailer, period. Let alone at no additional cost. I missed the cutoff time on Saturday but they got them out that day. Packed very well with air bags, no contents moving around. Shoes had full paper in the toes and additional cardboard model to keep the shape of the heel.

Customer service: I can't attest too much since I had no problems and will not have to return for an exchange or refund. However, for a company that provides you with tracking information AFTER they have long already sent out your product is a good indication of customer satisfaction in my opinion.

Shoes.com

Shipping: Although my order was supposed to arrive on Friday, they arrived two days early. Just as good as UPS 2nd day delivery, although I suspect this has alot to do with the close proximity of their location and mine (MO->TX). Outside box was a little bit dinged on the corners. Packed adequately with air bags. No traditional paper inside, nor additional cardboard heel support.

Customer service: I can't speak too much since I had no problems and will not have to return for an exchange or refund. However, if necessary, my confidence in doing so would be high.

Scores

Conclusion
    Last edited by Eric; 05-16-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    Official BOTL Social Media
    Twitter: @botlorg
    Facebook: fb.com/botlorg
    Instagram: instagr.am/botlorg

Nice.

I wait with baited breath.
    -Todd

RIP Sgt. Ian Anderson

So did you or your woman pick these out?
    Grand Poobah of the Secret Santa

Co-founder &
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cvm4 View Post
    So did you or your woman pick these out?
    Ouch!

I like the Born. Not so much the other ones.

Co-founder &
    Administrator

Here's how I'm predicting I'll be wearing the shoes:

* Born Tribune will be good for going out with a pair of jeans on.
    * Mephisto Allrounder will be good for everything else.
    * Mephisto Habbo will be great for work. I hope! For the price they better.

Those are some high dollar shoes Eric. For that price you could talk two Filipino hookers into letting you strap them to your feet and walk around!
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -- Churchill

Cheers -- Matt

I like the first two best, don't care for the last one. Good luck, can't wait for the results!
    --Jason

I didn't even look at the price of any of them. Holy shit dude! They're going to get dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by cvm4 View Post
    I didn't even look at the price of any of them. Holy shit dude! They're going to get dirty!

Over $500? Them is some fancy sneaks, they would have to wrap around something other than my feet for that much cash.
    It's a great day for a ball game, lets play two.
    Mr. E. Banks

All else is Hooey! CWS

I have a pair of Born's and they are my favorite shoe I own. The allrounder is a good looking shoe. I have ordered almost all of my shoes online lately from shoes.com. I have never had a problem with anything I have ordered. Get on there mailing list. They have some killer deals once in a while and they will email you when they are going to run the specials. Let us know how you did.
    Arrogant Bastard? Ya I like that beer.

Cheers
    J3RM33

Co-founder &
    Administrator

Amazing. I checked the tracking number for my Zappos.com order to be delivered tomorrow and the UPS site said they were already delivered. Sure enough, the package was on the doorstep.

I've updated the original post with my initial thoughts.

Oh my dems sum spensive soles for da feat!
    Steve

Co-founder &
    Administrator

This is odd. Yesterday, my UPS tracking from Shoes.com said they were on time for arrival on Friday the 16th. However, they arrived today - nice! Will update original post later today.