Close
Famous Smoke

Default How do you hold the pipe in your mouth?

I've been smoking a pipe for about six months after switching over from cigars. I always thought it was a given that you held the pipe in your mouth with your teeth, but from what I've read, teeth marks on a pipe are frowned upon. Do most folks hold the pipe firmly with their lips and not their teeth? When I do this it causes my lips to get fatigued and sore.

Most of the time I have the pipe in my hand, but if I'm leaving it in my mouth I use my teeth. But I don't really bite down hard, if anything it more or less just rests between them.
    "If I cannot smoke in heaven, then I shall not go."
    - Mark Twain

I hold it in my hand. Can't stand getting smoke up my nose. I don't let a cigar sit in my mouth either.
    There's nothing wrong with drinking before noon. Especially if you're supposed to be at work.

I'd like a clarification on this point too, being new to the bowl, I find it pretty difficult to hold on to the pipe using just my lips

Yes, teeth marks are frowned upon, but there are some ways to keep them to a minimum. Vulcanite stems are softer and require a gentle bite if your going to hold them in your mouth. With my vulcanite stemed pipes I try to minimize holding them in my mouth, with the exception of the few I have that have really good balance that just hang there and never seem to get a nick. Lucite stems are much harder and don't usually don't show teeth marks unless you chomp down really, really, really hard on the stem. I presonally prefer lucite stems as I don't have to worry about teeth marks or oxidation. Some people don't like the hardness of lucite as they say its hard on the teeth so it comes down to personal choice.

I hold it in my hand or set it down in a stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
    There was a box of Te Amo, a donkey and a very courageous young lady.....Juarez, Mexico 1992.....

I moved. The addy you have is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
    I hold it in my hand or set it down in a stand.
    or use the face mask,,, then there's the glass type that holds water, or the hose model...
    surf's up!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
    There was a box of Te Amo, a donkey and a very courageous young lady.....Juarez, Mexico 1992.....

I moved. The addy you have is wrong.

I don't usually hold the pipe in my mouth for extended periods, but do clench the pipe stem in my teeth. I don't chomp down very hard, so the bite marks are generally superficial.

However, there is a product that you might consider trying that might make it more comfortable for you. Stem biters are small rubber tubes that fit over the end of the stem and are usually available at most local pipe shops. They feel a bit awkward at first, but I found they were very comfortable on my teeth.

LINK

I tend to clench, as I often smoke a pipe while typing a response to questions on a forum. :D

That said, teeth marks are really only an issue if your concerned about estate value, so it may or may not be an issue. If the toothmarks are faint (very light bite with your teeth), they will probably be fairly easy to buff out. If your not concerned with the stem being an original, you could always have a pipemaker (or repairman) make a second stem for you, and just stow the original one away. I've had new stems made for around $15-20.
    -Jeff

e·go (ē'gō, ĕg'ō)
    n., pl. e·gos.
    In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.

ar·chive (är'kīv')
    n.
    A repository for stored memories or information: the archive of the mind.

I usually hold it in my hand and only rise it to my lips when I'm going to puff. Like Dougful, I never clinch the pipe with my teeth, I just hold it balanced between them.

Holding the pipe in your mouth for long periods will make your smoking wet.

I rarely hold it in me mouth and usually only have it resting in me hand to lift it when I'll have a puff as well.
    Alfonso

Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it...

Putting the "fun" in "malfunction" since 1989