Close
Warped Cigars
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Blowing Smoke (through nose)

What's the trick?

I see it mentioned occasionally that people exhale some cigar smoke through their nose to better detect flavors and smells.

I don't inhale smoke into my throat or lungs, so I'm not sure how to accomplish the nose trick without choking myself.

I did choke myself a bit last night attempting to figure it out. My baby-pink throat and lungs disapproved.
    Clint

"...I promised myself that if ever I had some money that I would savor a cigar each day after lunch and dinner. This is the only resolution of my youth that I have kept, and the only realized ambition which as not brought disillusion." - Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up

My wife can't do it either - I on the other hand can't stop doing it...

Close your mouth and breath through your nose.
    Now roll your tongue from tip to back from your teeth to the roof of your mouth pushing the air out through your nose.
    Now hold your breath & repeat.

That's pretty much it, until you have a cigar dangling & take a pull/sip/drag of it, hold the smoke in your mouth for a few seconds (allowing it to cool & line your palate with it's flavor), then open the tonsil/passage (open your mouth a bit too!) to allow you to use your tongue to push the smoke out.

WARNING: the first time you do this - it's gonna burn.

That's why I suggest a bit of 'practice'. not only so you can get the hang of doing it, but so that you can regulate how much is being pushed through your nose - I usually try to push most of it out my mouth & 25% through my nose.

Interesting. I am going to have to try this.

It definitely enhances the smoking experience. And if you can get the knack of exhaling through the mouth and the nose equally, I feel it is even better. Good luck.
    Too many cigars, so little time

I can neither confirm nor deny the above mentioned technique, but i can confirm that whatever method you end up using, it will most definitely enhance the flavors. I jsut started the whole inhaling thing a few weeks ago and it has opened up a whole new world in flavor.
    Always be your self, unless your pretending to be someone else.

3 Steps-

1. Inhale air (without smoking) until your lungs feel about 3/4 of the way full.
    2. Take a puff on your cigar, holding the smoke in your mouth as usual.
    3. Exhale from your lungs, allowing the smoke to join in the air, through your nose.

*This does NOT feel good to the beginner. Your nose will burn, your eyes will water and you will not want to do it again. However, when you get the basic technique down, you can allow very little through your nose instead of an entire smoke full. I would even suggest trying the technique (as dumb as it sounds) without smoking.

Best of luck!

Bear
    And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives.... ~ I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true. - Stranger Than Fiction

Woah, well I don't inhale smoke from sticks at all...ever. But AJ's method is pretty much it, mixed with some of Proud Bears. When I'm smoking and I draw my cigar and I start to blow the smoke out of my nose/mouth, it takes it a second to work it's way from my mouth to my nasal cavity - just telling you so your aware if that happens to you too!

It's a horrible feeling at first, and you might end up coughing or sneezing or your eyes might tear up, so do it in the privacy of your own home instead of at the B&M - just to be sure you don't loose any clout from trying to blow smoke out your nose! I would agree that it enhances flavors though!

I use Bear's method for snorking; yet I'd also add to not only exhale through yer nose, but first through yer mouth about 70-80% at first, developing into the 50-50 rate (in which ye should be already able to exhale both through yer nose and mouth at the same time.).
    Alfonso

Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it...

Putting the "fun" in "malfunction" since 1989

I have just recently been trying this. What i do because i am beginner at this is
    1 inhale air
    2 puff
    3 exhale some out of my mouth
    4 open nasal cavity as i continue to exhale that way you dont get the whole smoke through the nose

this seams to be working pretty good for me so far
    Rigil

I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

This "skill" I agree does enhance the flavor of a cigar, however it does take some time to master. I am able to do this but by no means am a master of it. A master of the skill probably does not have to think about doing it and I on the other hand have to concentrate a little bit to hard to make sure I don't inhale and look like an idiot while trying to enjoy my smoke. My final thought on this is PRACTICE, yes that is right, practice smoking your cigars, I am sure you will enjoy it!
    Last edited by Ducky; 11-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.

I never realised this is such a big deal. I've been doing this for years since someone taught me how to 'french-inhale' as a teenager... Then I exhaled through my nose for years while smoking cigarettes. It's just force of habit now with cigars. It's actually hard to not do it.

I find it hard to understand how someone can truly enjoy a cigar without doing it.

I do the "french" gig, or will bring some of my second hand smoke back in through my nose if it's too strong to "french", but I have yet to develop the special ninja skills described above. I've tried, I just choke, my nose runs and my eyes water.
    Smoke rings at ya,

Mitch
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Friends cost time

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave13 View Post
    I never realised this is such a big deal. I've been doing this for years since someone taught me how to 'french-inhale' as a teenager... Then I exhaled through my nose for years while smoking cigarettes. It's just force of habit now with cigars. It's actually hard to not do it.

I find it hard to understand how someone can truly enjoy a cigar without doing it.
    I don't have a problem enjoying cigars, and I don't know anyone personally that exhales through their nose.

It's easier with cigarettes because the smoke is coming from your lungs. It has to come out your nose if you have your mouth closed.

I definitely don't inhale cigars. Too many health risks and every time I do it on accident I just choke like a little girl.

Will have to try the methods mentioned here when I get home. Thanks for the tips.
    Clint

"...I promised myself that if ever I had some money that I would savor a cigar each day after lunch and dinner. This is the only resolution of my youth that I have kept, and the only realized ambition which as not brought disillusion." - Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up

Funny, I always thought it was the most simple thing - don't inhale, close your mouth, and blow the smoke through your nose. No biggie.

Wrong, so many people can't do it, strangely. My fiance being one, can't do it to save her life.
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrob View Post
    I've smoked a few of them and they are quite pleasant but strong too...it's like having a really nice guy kick your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave13 View Post

Agreed, especially about how its hard NOT to do it. I usually exhale 50% of my smoke through my nose, any more then that and I'm left with a nicotine headache hangover.

I try not to exhale through my nose sometimes, and its nearly impossible. Takes a lot of thought for me not too.
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrob View Post
    I've smoked a few of them and they are quite pleasant but strong too...it's like having a really nice guy kick your ass.