Close
Cigar King
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Most reliable butane lighter

I seem to have the worst luck with those high pressure butane lighters. I don't think it should cost an arm and a leg to get a decent lighter, but at the same time I've spent a small fortune on cigars, I could probably justify $50 or so on a nice lighter.

What is the most reliable (in your experience, reliability is lighting up every single time you click it) butane lighter that you've used? I prefer one flame, large fuel reservoir, and a good amount of space between the lid and the flame. I hate knocking ash all over the place when trying to touch up the burn on larger gauge cigars.

Vector Butane and Xikar Butane have been top of the line for me...
    "I smoke in moderation...only one cigar at a time." -Mark Twain

I haven't had a good one yet but I can tell you colibri is not the way to go.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."
    -- Mark Twain

Not butane and does not fit in the pocket, but it should work every time.

The torch lighter I have I found on the ground outside my work a few years before I started with cigars. It sometimes has problems lighting but it was free and it has a flash light on it.

Pics of it on my album:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums...pictureid=2500

Good luck
    ~Brett

Oops, I guess I misread the thread, my apologies.

I would say that IM Corona, Xikar, and ST. Dupont make the most reliable lighters. Since you said $50 bucks, I would say that the EX line from Xikar would be right up your alley, and with the unconditional lifetime warranty... well you're covered!
    "I smoke in moderation...only one cigar at a time." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cashedash View Post
    Not butane and does not fit in the pocket, but it should work every time.

The torch lighter I have I found on the ground outside my work a few years before I started with cigars. It sometimes has problems lighting but it was free and it has a flash light on it.

Pics of it on my album:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums...pictureid=2500

Good luck
    To be honest I have seriously considered a propane torch with one of those self light click buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrann View Post
    Oops, I guess I misread the thread, my apologies.

I would say that IM Corona, Xikar, and ST. Dupont make the most reliable lighters. Since you said $50 bucks, I would say that the EX line from Xikar would be right up your alley, and with the unconditional lifetime warranty... well you're covered!
    Will look those up!
    Last edited by Josh K; 09-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Loose Lips Sink Ships Crypto Sailor's Avatar

I got my Xikar for $30 and haven't had a problem with the lighter, however the other day I discovered the plastic case had split down the middle so Monday she's going back to the factory...
    I'm Brian and currently serving in the Navy, I'm here to learn about the leaf!!
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://www.emersonscigars.com/
    http://www.generation-edge.info/

I have a Spunk brand lighter that I like. The cover retracts, so it is never in the way of lighting a cigar. The flame adjustment is a bit touchy, but once you get it set right, it won't fail to light.
    If it all were to end at midnight, I would hope for a fine cigar, a complimenting beverage and a songbird nearby; as the sun went down that evening.

OK - I'll toss it out there... Ronson Jetlite.... under 6 bux at walgreens and I have 2 that have never, not ever, given me a problem.

Lots of brothers will tell you that when you're dealing with lighters under 40 or 50 bux, that the most important thing is a great quality fuel... top notch fuel will go a long ways to guarantee good service out of your lighters.

However, if that's too "cheap" for you then the Xikar line mentioned earlier would be a good one to look into and still be entry level IMO.

Show us what you settle on!!

http://vaillanblog.blogspot.com - My Blog

I'll second the Ronson Jetlite. You can't beat the price and it's very reliable. I also have a Blazer PB207 that has lit every time I have tried. The colibri that I have is junk.

+3 on the Ronson. I bought my first one a year ago and it hasn't failed me,,,not once and this coming from a lighter I have run thru the washing machine twice, dropped from 20 feet at least 3 times and always refill without purging. This sucker is amazing in that I went out and bought a dozen more at $3 a piece. My ligher buying days are over and I have some very expensive lighters that I have bought over the years for $100's.
    A mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.

+4 on the Ronson. Best cheap torch on the market.
    It's a great day for a ball game, lets play two.
    Mr. E. Banks

All else is Hooey! CWS

Quote Originally Posted by mav_sd View Post
    OK - I'll toss it out there... Ronson Jetlite.... under 6 bux at walgreens and I have 2 that have never, not ever, given me a problem.

Lots of brothers will tell you that when you're dealing with lighters under 40 or 50 bux, that the most important thing is a great quality fuel... top notch fuel will go a long ways to guarantee good service out of your lighters.

However, if that's too "cheap" for you then the Xikar line mentioned earlier would be a good one to look into and still be entry level IMO.

Show us what you settle on!!
    +1 for quality Butane. I have a Xikar executive (they go for about $20, nice big button on the side) that stopped working because I was using cheap butane from walgreens. Now Ive got a Xikar EXII Carbon that my GF gifted me and I reaaally like the soft flame. Very nice quality lighter that will only see quality butane.

I recently got a "Madelaine" push-button torch. They are under $20, not sure how many shops have them or if they're online. It's working great so far. It's like a cheap version of the S.T. Dupont one, which I'd love to get someday.

Quote Originally Posted by lafayettelauren View Post
    I haven't had a good one yet but I can tell you colibri is not the way to go.
    Never had a prob with Colibir. Always great for me.

TIP: never shake the can before you add fuel to lighter, it adds air bubbles.