Close
Warped Cigars

Default Attaching cigar bands to a tabletop?

I knew if I saved my cigar bands long enough I'd find a cool use for them. I'm going to build a domino table!

Does anyone have suggestion on the best way to attach the bands to the top? I'd also like a solid clear coat on top for shine and protection... possibly acrylic???

I've heard a product calle Mod Podge mentioned, does anyone have experience with that? I want to make sure that whatever I use doesn't cause the clear coat to get milky/cloudy.

Thanks!
    ---------------------------------------
    Atlanta Cigar Club: www.C4CigarClub.com
    Twitter: TimD_C4 @ C4CigarClub

spill a 2L of Mt.Dew on the table, once it starts to dry and get sticky , lay the bands on top of them. After 2 days you can set a piece of broken glass on top of it all..and wahlah! domino!!!
    Look forward to seeing and possibly playing bones on your new table once its done Tim! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    spill a 2L of Mt.Dew on the table, once it starts to dry and get sticky , lay the bands on top of them. After 2 days you can set a piece of broken glass on top of it all..and wahlah! domino!!!
    Look forward to seeing and possibly playing bones on your new table once its done Tim! Good luck
    LOL, thanks for the tip. I thought about covering the top with a sheet of plexi inside a wooden 'frame'... hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
    LOL, thanks for the tip. I thought about covering the top with a sheet of plexi inside a wooden 'frame'... hmmm.....
    that would probably be pretty rad! How many bands do you think it will take to cover your table ? And how are you going to corridnate the bands..by color..country of orgin...size..or just random ?

that would probably be pretty rad! How many bands do you think it will take to cover your table ? And how are you going to corridnate the bands..by color..country of orgin...size..or just random ?
    I think I'm going to go random with them, but now that you mention it some sort of pattern would be cool. Wonder if I can figure out how to make a big domino in the center out of cigar bands???

I used modge podge on first project and it worked okay...my wife used just palin ol elmers on my table and it turned out fantastic! Two part epoxy to top it off....works like a champ!
    God bless our troops! BOMB Them!!! Best target there is!

I think I'm going to go random with them, but now that you mention it some sort of pattern would be cool. Wonder if I can figure out how to make a big domino in the center out of cigar bands???
    Mosaic Creator, you know the pictures made of a bunch of tiny pictures..then made to look like the design you want
    http://www.aolej.com/mosaic

in your case , cigar bands with a translucent domino image pasted on top

Mosaic Creator, you know the pictures made of a bunch of tiny pictures..then made to look like the design you want
    http://www.aolej.com/mosaic

in your case , cigar bands with a transparent domino image pasted on top
    Nice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smokemifugotem View Post
    I used modge podge on first project and it worked okay...my wife used just palin ol elmers on my table and it turned out fantastic! Two part epoxy to top it off....works like a champ!
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm excited to get this done.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm excited to get this done.
    just dont flip it after all the hard work!

I have it in a thread somewhere on here...ill find it and bump it so u can take a look. it is just a nice little side table...holds all my collectables
    God bless our troops! BOMB Them!!! Best target there is!

Quote Originally Posted by smokemifugotem View Post
    I have it in a thread somewhere on here...ill find it and bump it so u can take a look. it is just a nice little side table...holds all my collectables
    Excellent, thanks.

I just consulted my wife on this. Mod podge might discolor the bands. You can try two sided tape my wife has some for scrapbooking. You can get it at a hobby store or some place like Joanns or Hobby Lobby.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, "Shouting....Holy S**t....what a ride!"

Marine your best friend, or your worst enemy. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BesstR View Post
    I just consulted my wife on this. Mod podge might discolor the bands. You can try two sided tape my wife has some for scrapbooking. You can get it at a hobby store or some place like Joanns or Hobby Lobby.
    Gotcha, thanks for the info.

You could just use regular Elmer's Glue to attach the bands to the surface and then top them off with some clear acrylic varnish from the art supply store––those are made to seal and won't discolor any dyes.
    –Ryan