First, thanks to twent5 and slave2theaxe for the inspiration to pull the trigger. If you haven't looked at their posts you need to.
Mine will not be dramatically different from the two above, except for when it comes to handling possible condensation problems, but more later. I also went with the Bling "Light" version, have to watch my figure...
Ok, so lets get started, shelves have been removed in the picture above and the back of the unit is below. First removed the condensation tray, and then I drilled through the plastic tube with a 1/4 inch drill bit. Remove the nut first. Didn't quite make it straight, but oh well.
Now from the inside of the unit I made the hole larger, and drilled on an angle up toward the original drain hole. My thoughts here, the catch tray in the back of the unit is designed to catch the condensation and take it outside the unit for evaporation. Why redesign the wheel, lets just change where the water goes! Make sure not to damage the plastic fitting in the drain area. But you will need to remove the lose pieces of the old tubbing (black). I have inserted a pipe cleaner through the new hole path.
Into this new path I plan to insert some new tubing. I used standard aquarium air-pump tubing. I cut the leading edge at a 45, to help get it started, and lubed it up with some dish soap and water and fed it down from the top. (that doesn't sound right), notice the hole is a little larger. Helped to grab the tip of the tubing with a pair of needle nose pliers from below.
I had stopped at this point to take a picture, it was almost a fatal mistake. Don't let it sit to long as the soap and water dries and you might not get the tubing moving again. It was close. Picture below shows tubing in final position (1/16 to 1/8 inch above plastic fitting) Notice the soap bubbles and water already draining down the tube.
Closer picture (sorry about the focus)
Below are the fan set-ups. Just a note about the spacers. Not the easiest thing to find. Have a local Menards, don't carry it. Local hardware, doesn't have it. Slave said he got his at Home Depot, the one 1 hour away doesn't carry them. Finally got them at a Lowe's. One inch spacers, rubber washers on top and bottom and a nylon lock nut. Yes, they look pink.
Fans in place, ETC wired, drain tube ready.
Fans connected to power and running, yes they are RED!
And last the back of the unit all wired up.
I have some cedar ordered from woodcraft with which I plan to build a crumb catcher for the bottom on the unit. Picture below shows the test fit. Its not glued up yet. After it is the drain tube will be cut to length and placed in some suitable reservoir.
Three Chasidor double trays (plain cedar) and 2 shelves are on order. ( 17 days and not counting)