Close
Warped Cigars

Question Fixing Humidor Seal With Clear Nail Polish?

Hi,

I have a couple of humidors I bought online that seem to be pretty good (Cuban Crafters Deluxe Mio Glass Top Bubinga & Walnut and Cigarbid El Presidente) but the seals are not as tight as I'd like them when performing the dollar bill test with printer paper. As a quick and temporary fix I simply added a couple layers of freezer tape around where the seal is but would like to do something more permanent and less tacky looking. I was thinking about removing the tape and adding a thin layer of clear nail polish to create a tighter seal since this should dry nice and hard, be permanent, and shouldn't have any odor or give off anything that will affect the taste and aroma of the cigars. Does anybody have any info regarding this idea or have any other tips and tricks regarding nicer and more permanent ways to fix a humidor seal?

Thanks,
    ~ evenstill

Nail polish most definitely has a very strong aroma, which would be my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Docbp87 View Post
    Nail polish most definitely has a very strong aroma, which would be my concern.
    Well, I know that nail polish has a very strong odor when wet but I think that's just from the solvent used to thin it because when it dries I think it just hardens into an odorless polymer type coating.

~ evenstill

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10 twenty5's Avatar

You need something that is compressable. A hard coating like nail polish (which will stink for a while) or any other kind of laquer will create a surface that has hills and valleys and will let air escape. Use a small weather stripping material that compresses when closed, not allowing any gaps.
    -Justin

Or "rope caulk" it's used to make air tight seals on speaker enclosures that is always plyable
    - Alex
    a.k.a 7 Foot

If it comes in a tube, it has got be good. If it comes in its own wooden box, it has got to be GREAT! Right?

Caught in the Crossfire rick12string's Avatar

I fixed the seal on a humidor once by cutting thin strips (about 3/16” - 1/4” wide) out of the cedar sheets that come in a box of cigars. I then glued the strips around the inside of the humidor lid even with the bottom edge using Elmer’s wood glue. Make sure you clamp along the entire length of the strips when gluing for a solid and even bond. The fix is hardly noticeable as the strips blend in with the lid. For approximately five years the humidor now has a great seal and holds humidity as it should.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rick12string; 03-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Gun control is Hitting Your Target.
    An armed society is a polite society!

Default wwooooww

incredible things

Not sure how it would work (or look) but my first thought was teflon tape.

Rick12string's fix sounds like a better idea though.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-Polyester-Felt-thick/dp/B000QDRRNE"]Amazon.com: JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape (1mm thick felt): 3/4 in. x 75 ft. (Black): Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410a8nhBf-L.@@AMEPARAM@@410a8nhBf-L[/ame]

I fixed my first humidor with felt tape. 1mm thick, compressible and relatively cheap. Once you stick it around the inside edges you might have to rest something with some weight on the lid. After awhile the tape compresses to the right shape.

Quote Originally Posted by pmd View Post
    Amazon.com: JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape (1mm thick felt): 3/4 in. x 75 ft. (Black): Home Improvement

I fixed my first humidor with felt tape. 1mm thick, compressible and relatively cheap. Once you stick it around the inside edges you might have to rest something with some weight on the lid. After awhile the tape compresses to the right shape.
    Where exactly did you install that? I have a nice looking humi that leaks a bit at the front and would love to start using for daily smokes again.

I cut the width down a bit with an exacto blade and put it around the inside edge where the lid and body meet, facing up. I would take a picture but I sold it last summer. It was made by a local woodworker so there was probably a little more play in the lid hinges than one that was store bought. Hope that helps.

I fixed mine like this:

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name."

C.H. Spurgeon