Close
Federal Cigar
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Ash

I'm famous among my buddies for ashing on myself. I just can't bear to knock the ash off, ever. I jut cant do it. Even though I know I'm gonna get it all over me.

Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    On Instagram as @stogieninja
    The most comprehensive cigar database ever created: Cigarlopedia!
    Before PM-ing me for Cuban sources, please click here and here!
    "I've got a great cigar collection... it's actually not a collection,
    because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last
    one of 'em." - Ron White

I usually wait to ash until i have a good 1.5-2" ash then i will ash in my stinky ash tray. If the ash gets to long it restricts air flow and makes it harder to keep the cigar lit and keep its even burn.
    "Texas will again lift its head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages." Sam Houston

"Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy and, while guided and controlled by virtue, the noblest attribute of man. It is the only dictator that freemen acknowledge and the only security that freemen desire." Mirabeau B. Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by lilninjabuddy View Post
    I'm famous among my buddies for ashing on myself. I just can't bear to knock the ash off, ever. I jut cant do it. Even though I know I'm gonna get it all over me.
    Pretty much this.. though I don't claim to be famous for much of anything. Seeing how long I can get my ash is almost a contest I have with myself. This contest has resulted in ash on myself, the floor, on my phone, in my keyboard, etc.. Its even more of a challenge if the ash is curling/flaking and wants to fall off.. nothing better than having a 4.5" banana ash (I know there's a joke there somewhere..)

I get rid of it just for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedTexan View Post
    I usually wait to ash until i have a good 1.5-2" ash then i will ash in my stinky ash tray. If the ash gets to long it restricts air flow and makes it harder to keep the cigar lit and keep its even burn.
    I feel the same but i dont have a stinky. I think it also depends on the cigar. Finding the natural rhythm of the cigar and joining in that rhythm can make a wonderful relationship.
    "...I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God... " C. H. Spurgeon

Hate it when the ash falls on me...period! it can ruin a good shirt if it's hot enough, plus it just looks sloppy. I will leave an ash on as long as I can but around one to two inches, depending how the ash looks, it's time to tap.
    Last edited by ciggy; 04-09-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Proud Veteran Supporting Those Who Served and Still Serving!!

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0( whodeeni's Avatar

The longer the ash the better. I didn't know that the ash cooled the smoke,
    but i have unconsciously noticed how hot the end of the cigar gets when the ash has been knocked off.
    If smoking cigars is on the Darkside i guess i'm never never going back

Quote Originally Posted by njstone
    I've got one left. Finding it hard to bring myself to smoke it, lol. It might sit next to my last Verocu Eastie until Jesus comes back.
    Quote Originally Posted by LigaPrivadaFanboy
    So a friend of mine is a long-time Ghurka fan. Last weekend we smoked LP UF4s together...he went home and threw away all of his Ghurkas, cursing me for spoiling him with cigars that actually taste good! Now he's on a box-buying binge...anything from Nica!

Baitfish
    www.blog.kalgoorliecraftbrewers.com

I have seen the term "baitfish" several times now and always with a My Uzi.....cigar? Would someone enlighten me? Curiosity has finally got the better of me?
    Less is only more where more is no good.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Mike 7up Pinball Champion SurpriseMVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raider View Post
    I have seen the term "baitfish" several times now and always with a My Uzi.....cigar? Would someone enlighten me? Curiosity has finally got the better of me?
    http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Drew_..._com_s/116.htm
    Mike

His name: Joe Sr.
    His cigar: My Father #3 Cremas (Toro size) from Pepin himself

The cigar had to be tapped pretty well in order to get the ash to fall off. It was down to the nub, burning his fingers, and was still holding firm when held sideways. What can you say about good construction.
    BOTL - Should have been here sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by Zedman05 View Post

His name: Joe Sr.
    His cigar: My Father #3 Cremas (Toro size) from Pepin himself

The cigar had to be tapped pretty well in order to get the ash to fall off. It was down to the nub, burning his fingers, and was still holding firm when held sideways. What can you say about good construction.
    That's insane.

that is a crazy ash....I don't think I have the nerve to let mine get anywhere near that long

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10 twenty5's Avatar

Spam bumped this thread but I re-read it and was wondering if anyone could explain how the ash would keep the cigar burning cooler. To me it would seem that the ash would be an insulation almost, allowing the cigar to retain more heat. I understand that it would be very poor insulation, but insulation non the less. Think of a refrigerator, wine cooler or anything that needs to expel heat. It you put a piece of paper towel or toilet paper over the exhaust area, although the insulation value is very low, I would bet that the heat on the inside would rise, if only a little, but would never think that it would drop.

Anyway, I usually let the ash just fall off but knock it off when it gets close to an inch or so. Relaxing to me is not having to worry about it falling on my shirt.
    -Justin

I think, and this is just speculation, as you pull the air through the ash you have, it forces the draw to be longer and less intense due to the restricted air flow to the ember. The more air the hotter something burns so the ash reduces excess air preventing a hot bitter smoke... I think?
    - Alex
    a.k.a 7 Foot

If it comes in a tube, it has got be good. If it comes in its own wooden box, it has got to be GREAT! Right?