Close
Emerson's Cigars
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Ash

Default Nice Ash

I hate it when I have a nice, long, ash goin on, then it decides to fall all over my lap. Do you guys shake off the ash regularly? Or just let it fall off by itself?
    -Curtis

Try to keep it as long as possible... Smokes better with an ash IMHO.
    John

I usually let it hang for as long as it stays on, unless I'm at the lounge, where I ash after an inch or so (don't want to embarrass myself and make a mess for the employees to clean up)

Good thinkin, Zach. Ill keep that in mind.
    -Curtis

I leave about an inch, inch and a half on at a time...I think my cigars burn best that way.
    "Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli - Clemenza (The Godfather)

CRA Member #99957639
    Fight for your right to keep herfing become a member today and stop these Government a**holes for trying to ban EVERYTHING we love. Thank You.

@scottb01915 on Twitter.

A cigar should burn cooler with an ash, thus making the smoke smoother... or so I have been told. I try for as long as possible, unless I'm driving or at a lounge/friends house
    Quote Originally Posted by SSimp View Post
    Black rifles are like crack whores, in that, they'll work for just about anything. Good ammo, mediocre ammo, doesn't matter.
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

BoM July '12
    javajunkie's Avatar Moderator

it helps if you know the cigar and what it likes to do, ash-wise. keeping it on does help, and people who flick or tap a cigar like a cigarette annoy me (pet peeve), but here is a simple solution: over the tray, tap the cut cap with your index finger every half inch of ash or so. ash is tight, it stays, leave it. ash is loose, it falls discretely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Anyway, this is all entirely the opinion of some dude on a cigar forum, take and leave what you like.

Anyone got pics of a massive ash?
    www.blog.kalgoorliecraftbrewers.com

Let is fall naturally!

Depends on the cigar, some I let get quite long, others need their crumbly ash tended to more often.
    Ok, hand over the cigars and nobody gets hurt...

Default responses very

Oh, that's Great Sir !!

Personally I do not understand why people get embarrassed that their ash falls off on in their lap. All that tells me is that the gentleman smoking it is relaxed, does not care what he looks like, and understands the importance of the ash cooling system. Besides it just brushes off in a matter of seconds.
    Nate

It depends on where I am at the time. If I'm outside and there is no wind, I'll let it go until it falls off. If I'm at a friends house, inside I ash before it falls off onto his wife's clean carpet or floor ... God Forbid. Hangin' with the guys ... as long as it will hold before it drops on it's own.
    Good people drink good beer.

Hunter S. Thompson

USCG Cigar Newb USCG Cigar Newb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by javajunkie View Post
    it helps if you know the cigar and what it likes to do, ash-wise. keeping it on does help, and people who flick or tap a cigar like a cigarette annoy me (pet peeve), but here is a simple solution: over the tray, tap the cut cap with your index finger every half inch of ash or so. ash is tight, it stays, leave it. ash is loose, it falls discretely.
    Ditto to this. I give it a soft tap and if it stays I keep going, if it falls...well then there you go. But I like to keep it on as long as possible cause as people say it smokes cooler.
    -Bryce
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot, missionary martyr
    "I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God. Amen."-Martin Luther
    “Prayer is not a preparation for the battle; it is the battle!”– Leonard Ravenhill

I'm famous among my buddies for ashing on myself. I just can't bear to knock the ash off, ever. I jut cant do it. Even though I know I'm gonna get it all over me.

Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    On Instagram as @stogieninja
    The most comprehensive cigar database ever created: Cigarlopedia!
    Before PM-ing me for Cuban sources, please click here and here!
    "I've got a great cigar collection... it's actually not a collection,
    because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last
    one of 'em." - Ron White