Close
Cigar King
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It is amazing what a little band can do to a cigar!

In defense of this cigar.

I did get them recently this year and send them out.
    I would typically have them on hand for 6+ months before smoking them.
    So I probably should have grabbed something else.

I debated grabbing some cigars that were a little less spendy but had more age on them.
    I thought they would have served you guys better as I had one and it was GREAT.

BoM Nov '10 Space Invaders Champion danthebugman's Avatar

I'd figured Padron, but not the '64. Seemed the size was a little off and it looked a little rougher than I'd have imagined.

Dan
    People cry about how bad tobacco is, but do they realize how bad water is? Water can be chemically synthesized by burning rocket fuel. Water is the primary ingredient in herbicides and pesticides. Water is the leading cause of drowning. 100% of serial killers, rapists, and drug dealers have admitted to drinking water. And probably most alarming...100% of people exposed to water will die! By comparison tobacco is a pussy.

Carpe Insectum

Quote Originally Posted by danthebugman View Post
    I'd figured Padron, but not the '64. Seemed the size was a little off and it looked a little rougher than I'd have imagined.

Dan
    Funny that many people say that Padron Annis are at their peak when they ship and they go downhill after that.

Also, funny that, for a cigar that so many people say is "amazing"...these, in general, seem like some pretty mediocre reviews. For a $10 cigar I want something that will make me go "WOW! Holy crap" not just say yeah "that's a good one for the golf course" or "that was a solid B" ...I can get many solid B+/A- cigars for $3-$4 regularly!!! Like a previous poster stated above...it's funny how you stick a certain band on a cigar and it makes it taste good!

Because of this, I don't really trust non-blind cigar reviews anymore and, also, because of this I am going to trust my own taste buds more and rely less on what other people say about sticks.

Thank you FTTF! I see some of these in my future. I've had PAN's that didn't too too much for me, but this Maduro was great!

BoM March '10 July '11 Disc Golf Champion Craig Mac's Avatar

Gibble would have never smoked that cigar because he would have seen the non-triple cap and box press and known it was a Padron and threw it in the trash, lol.
    Turkey doesn't keep me from working, just being productive.

Quote Originally Posted by QiCultivator View Post
    Funny that many people say that Padron Annis are at their peak when they ship and they go downhill after that.

Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to what others say, but I've always enjoyed my Padrons more after some down time and think they get better with age

Also, funny that, for a cigar that so many people say is "amazing"...these, in general, seem like some pretty mediocre reviews. For a $10 cigar I want something that will make me go "WOW! Holy crap" not just say yeah "that's a good one for the golf course" or "that was a solid B" ...I can get many solid B+/A- cigars for $3-$4 regularly!!! Like a previous poster stated above...it's funny how you stick a certain band on a cigar and it makes it taste good!

I smoke good cigars on the golf course all the time. What I said was that the flavor profile and strength was perfect for my early morning rounds.

I agree that the band on the stick can certainly have an influence on ones thoughts, which is a big reason I wanted to do one of these blind reviews.

Because of this, I don't really trust non-blind cigar reviews anymore and, also, because of this I am going to trust my own taste buds more and rely less on what other people say about sticks.

I think this is what most of us want or try to do, but sometimes you find individuals that have similar tastes in cigars and it's helpful to get their thoughts on different cigars because it's basically impossible to try everything out there.

Just my two pennies
    Newbie Sampler Trade thread below. Good way for new guys to build their trader rating and meet some great BOTL's.

Newbie Sampler Trade

Quote Originally Posted by MU Mike View Post
    I don't always MU a cigar, but when I do, I prefer an $8 Fuente.

Stay smoking my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by QiCultivator View Post
    One of the reasons that I finally signed up on this site is due to member reviews, blind or not. Over time, I've found that my opinion of cigars is remarkably similar to certain reviewers, whether it was reading that review before or even after I smoked a particular cigar. Ultimately you need to form your own opinion on whether you enjoy a cigar or not, but with all of past cigars that I never smoked and with so many new brands and blends released each year, I see cigar reviews as a valuable resource to help me figure out what I should try next.... just my opinion. Otherwise you would need a lot of time and money to find that next cigar gem.

Thank you Neil for putting this together... I'm enjoying the read from all the participants.
    Last edited by JDog; 04-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.