What's new

“Snowicane” is Coming!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The Coming Winter Storm is Called “Snowicane,” In Case You Were Wondering

The same totemistic forces that named the last bout of bad Northeastern weather ”Snowmageddon” and “Snowpocalypse” have converged upon a new name for the coming winter storms: “Snowicane.”

ABC News, the Ithaca Journal, and affiliated Gannett newspapers unite in giving the latest bout of storms, which could drop from one to two feet of snow in some areas, the “Snowicane” handle. The reason: in addition to an onslaught of snow, Northeasterners can expect wind speeds of up to 70 miles per hour. The cutoff for hurricane force is 75 mph.

ABC News explains the wintery barrage:

In some places wind gusts of up to 70 mph were forecast — notable, considering that 75 mph winds in summer are considered hurricane-force.

Storms this time of year tend to follow each other. There was widespread snow in the Northeast on Tuesday.

Why such a rough winter? It is a combination of factors, said forecasters. There is an El Nino — a warm patch of water in the Pacific that adds steamy air to the jet streams blowing over it, generally bringing stormy weather to the American west. Two other periodic patterns — one called the Arctic Oscillation and the other called the North Atlantic Oscillation — are both sending colder-than-usual air toward the eastern part of the U.S. from northern latitudes.

Link

As if my Brother's in the NE haven't put up with enough already!

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
It was so bad yesterday that I had to throw my cigar (hated doing it but it was a CAO L’Anniversaire Maduro so I'm justifying that it was okay) out during my walk because of the rain. By the time I got back home, it had turned to gigantic snowflakes coming down like crazy.

So I sat on the porch and lit up a Cohiba Esplendido (that someone had given me) from way back. The construction was a little off and the flavor not as strong so my feeling is that it probably isn't a real Cohiba but they taste great so it was thoroughly enjoyable. By the time I had finished, there was over an inch of snow on the ground.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ha, Larry you are killing me. I thought a new Cain was being released.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i dont understand how yall yankees deal with that much snow. we got less than 6 inches here and it was hell... i hope the weather improves fast for yall.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ow, got a sunburn when driving in today with the top down on the convertible. :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All dug out, its hard to say how much we go do to the winds, at least 12 inches maybe more. Have a really neat looking wave shaped snow drift in the back yard.