What's new

¡This Flavor Business is BULLCRAP! E/N

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
NO! I don’t think that but I am surprised at the people I know those who do…

A few of my cigar-smoking pals, a few colleagues, and acquaintances have really tried to convince me that cigars have no flavor profiles… “Their either smooth or harsh tobacco….” or “You’re not tasting anything you say you’re tasting and all these people who say otherwise are full of crap!” Well… okay then, pal!

Now I can’t help but wonder why someone would waste an hour or two (or longer) of their time smoking a cigar if the experience was nothing more than a smooth or harsh tobacco. Shit, I wouldn't smoke cigars if this were the case!

Now even being a newb to smoking I am not afraid to hide my ignorance on the topic of cigars. However, I do know that the actual flavors in a cigar are not the actual flavor fused with the tobacco (unless it’s an infused cigar of course) but rather subtle/strong notes which are SIMILAR to the flavor of whatever you’re tasting. I understand a lot of this flavor business is related to soil quality and conditions in which grown/portions of the leaf etc.

I also know that everyone’s palette varies which comes with a different experience from person A to person B. For the most part, I just keep the enjoyment of the cigar to myself because it seems (at least the people I know) cannot enjoy the same things I do in a cigar. I've been scolded a few times with eye rolls when asked 'hows you're stick pal?' and I proceed with telling them about it. Get the old eye roll and the scolding remark 'you're full of shit, that doesn't exisit'. A simple 'it's a good cigar' seems to avoid going down that road.

It’s a little frustrating that out of the few small groups of people I know I seems to be the only one that tastes more than just hot tobacco smoke… I like to have a good dialogue going when you’re enjoying a new stick for the first time. This is something in my opinion it goes with the experience of smoking a cigar.

How about your brothers? Do you know of anyone like this? Certinally is not going to sway me from enjoying a smoke but I am sure there are others who share my plight.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Used to think that. Took a while of smoking good cigars frequently and really paying attention to them to start picking out flavors. even then, still kinda thought I was fooling myself. Took me at least 6 months of regular smoking before I was confident in what I thought I was tasting.

There's some who like to dissect the blend and flavor profile of a cigar, and others that smoked either a "good" or "not good" cigar. Both are right.

I go both ways with tastings. Sometimes I like to dissect the experience, other times its just a good or not good cigar. I like to participate in blind review passes to really test my tasters, but the majority of the time it's just good/not good.

Same goes with booze. Something super special, I'll pick out what im tasting. There's certain things I prefer, and if I can pick them out of the bouquet, I tend to increase my awareness of it, and the experience is enhanced. But sometimes it's just a glass of scotch on ice.

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Used to think that. Took a while of smoking good cigars frequently and really paying attention to them to start picking out flavors. even then, still kinda thought I was fooling myself. Took me at least 6 months of regular smoking before I was confident in what I thought I was tasting.
When I first started to smoke, I pretty much tasted nothing but hot bitter tobacco but I was also drawing too frequently.

There's some who like to dissect the blend and flavor profile of a cigar, and others that smoked either a "good" or "not good" cigar. Both are right.
I agree with this. However you enjoy your smoke is just fine. There is not a right/wrong way to enjoy a cigar imo... I've been told before that you NEED to do this/that or you shouldn't smoke. If something is not broken, no need to fix it!

I go both ways with tastings. Sometimes I like to dissect the experience, other times its just a good or not good cigar. I like to participate in blind review passes to really test my tasters, but the majority of the time it's just good/not good.
Fair enough man, I just get a different but very consistent experience when it comes to tasting a cigar. Sometimes there is a lot going on other times, I will admit, it's just tobacco. I appreciate your candid response. :D

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Everyone's palate and taste is different. I don't think it's too far fetched to be able to discern specific flavored from a cigar. When I first started smoking I went on a "like it" or "didn't like it" basis. I still use this method today. There have been a few times that a specific flavor just hit me in the face and there was no denying that I tasted chocolate or a butterscotch or a distinct citrus flavor. If I'm really paying attention I can detect flavored. I could do it much better when I wasn't smoking cigarettes as much:(. I honestly like reading reviews that get really descriptive with the different flavors they detect. The Katman comes to mind.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Some people have a more fine tuned sense of taste and smell. Unfortunately I am not one of these people, but I certainly would never put down somebody for being able to do so. I am happy to hear that you are able to pick out these flavors and actually quite envious of those that can.
My scale seems to be simply "I enjoy it" or "I don't enjoy it". I smoke for the relaxation and enjoyment I personally recieve in the act.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Some people have a more fine tuned sense of taste and smell. Unfortunately I am not one of these people, but I certainly would never put down somebody for being able to do so. I am happy to hear that you are able to pick out these flavors and actually quite envious of those that can.
My scale seems to be simply "I enjoy it" or "I don't enjoy it". I smoke for the relaxation and enjoyment I personally recieve in the act.
Do you retrohale?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Watched this video earlier today. Had some really good info. I can pick apart a couple of the flavors within the blends, but I'm not near as detailed as I would like.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I think a large part of picking out very specific flavors is knowing what those flavors taste like. For example; it would be very difficult to explain how vanilla tastes to someone that has never tasted vanilla before. I've always enjoyed trying new food, but have never been very diligent about learning about different spices. I think smelling and tasting those spices on their own would allow us to identify the same within what we are smoking.

For a great reference in understanding tasting and profiling check out the Netflix Documentary, SOMM.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honestly, this is a subject that drives me crazy. Using their logic, a smooth cigar is a smooth cigar, period. So, I guess that means that a Big Mac is the same as a burger from the best burger place in your area, just because both are edible, and Bud Light is the same as a highly regarded craft beer because both are smooth drinking. I just don't understand consuming something as expensive as cigars to enjoy one small, basic aspect of them. Take scotch as another example. Step inside your average American liquor store and look at the available brands. Now, of course, there will be some flavor-forward lines, but the majority of shelf space (particularly at eye level) Is going to be the homogenized (not literally), bland blends that are sold by the millions of barrels annually because it is "smooth". Now, understand, that doesn't make it ok for somebody to answer with some long, drawn out dissertation about what they're tasting like a wannabe critic when asked a simple "how you liking it?". Anyway, I'll shut up now and end my rant.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I am pretty sure the biggest issue I have in tasting subtle things in cigars is just simply taking the time to analyze each draw. At that point it becomes work and defeats the purpose.
I am good with my process for now. One day I may get to the point of disecting flavors but until then I applaud the rest of you.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As a beer judge, cigar reviewer, and someone that loves food tasting and all it's wonderful forms are a big thing for me. I think a major part of being able to decipher the flavors is understanding how to listen to your palate in the first place. You have to learn how to not look at the whole picture and break up the sensations and nuances individually. Sometimes this all happens really fast and it's easy to miss. Others you get a slow front palate, mid, and finish. In any case it takes practice, I believe the winos call it "concentrated tasting", and experiencing as many smells/tastes as you can all the time to build your palates library.
For some people they just don't care that much and they'll rarely ever taste anything more than good or bad and they're ok with that. If they don't get it that's their loss just tell them just because they can't taste it doesn't mean your not able to.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Talked my buddy into buying his first Padron today. It was a 64 Maduro. He usually smokes like he's in a race. I told him the name of the game was keeping the smoke as cold as possible without letting it go out. After the first couple puffs he was amazed at what he was tasting.

If you aren't taking the time to stop and notice the subtle things you will miss out completely, IMO.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
When I started smoking cigars, I didn't care about being able to identify every flavor, I just wanted to enjoy cigars for what they were. I also thought writing reviews ruined my enjoyment of a cigar... too much work! There are times when that's still true, but in general, writing reviews has forced me to think more about the cigar, to dwell on the flavors and to try and pick out what I'm sensing. Retrohaling also opened up a new world of flavors. Long story short, like anything worth doing, putting in a little work builds skill that soon becomes natural. I no longer work most of the time to pick out sensations in a cigar, it just comes naturally as I'm smoking, and I find I enjoy all of the complexities so much more for having exercised my palate a bit.

I see it like this: there are people who take the middle of the road, and people who prefer the highs and the lows. When it comes to cigars, those with less-developed palates are generally pleased with more cigars, and most cigars are enjoyable for them. For me, there are a great many cigars I just can't smoke that my peers figure are decent enough. But they also don't feel the elation of a great cigar in the same way that I do, the ones I absolutely adore are ones they figure are "pretty good." Neither way is wrong, really. I prefer the highs and the lows, myself.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I read an interview with the owner of cigar bandit. He said that he worked and worked to be able to know as much about cigars as possible. How each leaf tastes individualy and how to blend them. He said he trained himself so well to pick out individual profiles that some of his favorite sticks started to taste horrible because there was not enough complexities. He then had to train himself to stop analyzing and just enjoy certain cigars that he liked.
Basically what I got from all of that was its great to pick up on all the nuances. But sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy a stick for what it is.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Now, understand, that doesn't make it ok for somebody to answer with some long, drawn out dissertation about what they're tasting like a wannabe critic when asked a simple "how you liking it?". Anyway, I'll shut up now and end my rant.
Being a newb I do find it annoying when someone does go overboard with explanation of flavors, it's snobish and most people don't care. If you want to do a review? Post it online or make a yotube about it... There is however, nothing wrong with "this cigar has a nice leather and cream to it" and that is where I get the eye rolling derogatory comments from some of the people I've smoked with...

I think we're on the same page on how we feel about the subject, thanks for the reply.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This topic comes up from time to time because those who are new to the hobby or even those who are at least a year or two into the hobby tend to complain why they don't taste those profiles that they read about. Two schools of thought which incidentally coincide with each other. Some of us have a sensitive palate and that can be a good/bad thing depending on things. If it's too sensitive then you are going to be overwhelmed with profiles esp. spice and pepper. If your palate is like a lot of us then it takes time to learn the profiles and tastes much like a sommelier trains their tastes....this takes time to learn how to effectively move the smoke around your mouth w/o hotboxing your tissues and then burning them where you can hardly taste anything. Your tongue takes most of the abuse from cigars so it's smart to have a drink that is going to 'coat' your tongue so that you can let the smoke finish in your mouth. It is really going to take some time to train your sense of taste and smell as they are linked together....everything is dependent on how to draw, how long to hold the smoke and also using a retro hale as a tool to help distinguish taste...don't over do this as around 2 - 5 times per cigar is enough.