What's new

03 Hamlet Double Torpedo Shaggy.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
This cigar was gifted to me by Aaron (GibbleGuts) in Feb 09. I've been patiently storing it for the right time to review it. Well there is no better time then right now.
Time:255 pm
Finish time: 455pm
Drink: Coke
Temp 70 degrees inside the BL.
Music: The Black Crowes radio (Pandora)

Initial impressions:
Size 7.5 ish by 56.(foot end)
To say I'm pumped to smoke this cigar is a understatement. I've been staring at it for a couple of years. Coming from Aaron is a treat in itself. No questions of provenance. I know exactly what this cigar is and where it came from.
Prelight review:
This cigar has some big veins showing. Slightly mushy(farm roll) on the foot end but fairly tight towards the head. These cigars usually are not pressed (or placed in one for that matter). The wrapper is flawless with no sunspots or any other imperfections. I cut the head of this torpedo with a double guillotine cutter to show a firm (almost to firm of a draw). I probably should of dry boxed it for a few days and now I'm paying for it. :stickbeat ( humi was at 65% and I've had not one prob on a cc in the last 6 months)
1st inch:
Lit with box matches and taking my time I light the shaggy foot. It smells great but taking my first draw I get a blast of bitterness. (Hoping this will soon fade as I hit the wrapper). Not much more just bitter and aged tobacco.
1st 3rd:
Coming into the first third this Hamlet shaggy is still drawing tight.(tighter then the prelight draw it seems :sadstare: ) Not what I expected, but one thing I've come to realize is never expect anything from a 100% handmade product. Still bitter with general Cuban toasty tobacco flavor. One thing I find interesting is I've had some older Sancho Panza cigars from the 01 time period that had slightly tight to moderate draws and this cigar tastes the same as far as lineage of tobacco. Sorry I can not give you more then that but it is really all I've tasted so far even through a couple retrohales. ( aged Cuban tobacco and bitter)

2nd 3rd:

I've now used a draw tool to try and loosen up this cigar. Still tight and unfortunately still bitter. The cigar is pretty much all over the place. (flavor wise) Notes of toasted tobacco are present and leather as well. Also med to full bodied. (reaching full) I can feel it in my stomach even after just eating.
Burn is fairly even but it doesn't want to stay lit. The ash has been fairly dark (almost black) to dark grey. So far the burn is straight but it goes out every so often.

Final 3rd:
At this point I've tried to cut another half a inch more off the head. It's still bitter and other then that bitterness only a leather taste is left on my palate. After the cut nothing has changed or improved. I'm going to end this cigar now. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
I would like to thank Aaron for such a great opportunity to try such a rare cigar. Unfortunately I expected more and probably hyped it up too much in my head. I guess it just wasn't this cigars day. If anything, this goes to remind us fellow smokers in the world wide cigar community that no cigar is ever worth holding onto for ever. Smoke em if u got em boys, especially the htfs. They may not always be what we hyped them up to be.
Jfire.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Thank you for posting the review man! Nice picture of a blank cigar band put to good use... a shameless plug for anyone interested in ordering some blank bands.

I'm sorry the smoke didn't live up to your pent up expectations.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
That sucks. You do make a point..... no sense on holding onto cigars for ever.
That's to bad bro...Always a thought in the back of my mind as well. I can't afford to collect or hold onto cigars anymore. I've really cut back over the last year and now just smoke what I have. I still try to hold onto some but when it comes down to it I really can only afford to buy what I know I can smoke rott or within the year.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Enjoyable review. Perhaps just my preference, but I find custom rolls best in the 1-5 year age range. Been smoking a bundle of 08 Hamlet Cervantes that have fine draws (with the shaggy foots) and a strong earthy flavor I find very appealing.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
would you say some of the bitterness was from the shaggy foot? i have had problems with a few shaggy foot cigars being bitter
That's my experience, too. The wrapper really adds a lot.

Definitely want to get my hands on some custom rolls to try soon.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Tryting to think exactly when I got that one. For some reason I think the year was screwed up at some point. I think for some reason it is fresher then that. I will say that. While I do believe Hamlet is one of the best rollers out there sometime in the past he has not always had the best tobacco of the rollers in Havana. A lot of the rollers in Havana are limited to the tobacco they are given. Hamlet has told me before that he was not always the one to choose his tobacco. I will say that I would expect his cigars now to be some of his best now that they have move the upmann factory into the RyJ factory. His normal job is the roller at the RyJ factory store but for a long time there was no factory there. Now that it is the Upmann factory I would guess Hamlet will get a better and more consistant tobacco pile to grab from. I can't wait to try some of Hamlet's flying pigs.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hamlet is in Canada right now. (Vancouver till the 11th and then Toronto until Nov 6th). he is using 2006 tobacco and a number of BOTLs in Toronto are raving about them.

Price tag is $20.00 a pop however, well worth it.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. The ones he is rolling now are the bomba!!!