What's new

05 Trinidad Robusto Extra

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Decided to burn one of these in light of the news of the discontinuation of the trinidad line. Got this from a great BOTL and felt it was the appropriate time to smoke it, seeing that I am working on my business plan today.

The wrapper is a delicious light colorado brown. Feels like silk. still glistens due to the natural oils in the cigar. A nice sheen to the wrappper. not many veins at all. A slight indentation in the middle of the cigar due to the silk band that held it tightly to its peers.

The cigar is fairly firm with a little of give. The smell off of the wrapper reveals coffee. Cold draw reveals cedar and toffee. Can't wait to light this up.

A quick punch through the pigtail and we are off. Decided to light this with long matches. There is something iconic/classic about lighting a cigar this way.

The gentle flame warms up the foot. After a couple of seconds and a couple of puffs, we are on our way.

The smoke coming off of this cigar is generous. The draw effortless. These were stored at 61 degrees and time has been kind to the Robusto Extra.

Initial flavours are creme, toffee and mocha. I think I am going to like this one...

The first third was delightful. Waves of mocha, creme and toffee come crashing in with every puff. Nice long aftertaste that has a hint of honey, cedar and cocoa. Beautiful. The burn is holding on nicely. No retouches yet. THe ash is a light shade of grey.

Into the 2nd third now, cedar taste is coming in more prominently now however, it is not overpowering the toffee, mocha and creme flavours. A nice complement.

Entering the final third, the needle has moved in terms of strength. Cedar, woodsy notes are much more prominent. The cigar is flexing its muscles. No tannic flavours or amonia at all. Tobacco taste is clean. Delightful.

Slowing right down now as the cigar is at peak strength. Big on the cocoa/mocha/cedar combination right now. There is a nice creaminess to the cigar however, based on this blast of strength, it could still sleep for a few years and improve. I can only imagine what this tastes like when it was in its infancy.

Strong black coffee is what I was desctibe the last inch or so. Dominates all the other flavours. Smoking about a puff a minute. The aftertaste is lllllooooonnnnnggggg. Strong that you can almost chew it. The burn is getting a little wonky. Might have to touch it up.

Time to put this one to bed. Overall, a nice experience. The final third tells me that these can sleep for awhile and still get better. It definately begs the question: "Why are these being discontinued?"

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Decided to burn one of these in light of the news of the discontinuation of the trinidad line...
Initial flavours are creme, toffee and mocha. I think I am going to like this one...
Yea...I lit up too. Sad day indeed. Great review A, I may or may not prefer the Coloniales as the favorite of the marca due to its eccentricities diverting from the line.