What's new

100 Year old humidor and cigars

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
38-50 let them set in a low RH (60%) for 12 months you can gradually increase the rh by a few points over those months to 65% if you wish. After a year they'll be ready to smoke but who knows just how much flavor is left. Sometimes they can surprise you. I've had a few things from the 20s 30s 40s 50s that were actually quite good. Not great but not terrible either.

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
38-50 let them set in a low RH (60%) for 12 months you can gradually increase the rh by a few points over those months to 65% if you wish. After a year they'll be ready to smoke but who knows just how much flavor is left. Sometimes they can surprise you. I've had a few things from the 20s 30s 40s 50s that were actually quite good. Not great but not terrible either.
Thanks for the info, they have been in the humidor for the better part of a year now, but I keep my cabinet in the low 60's and never more than 65%. That being said, I'm sure they are worth more as a collectors piece as opposed to smoking material. I'll have to get some pics posted...

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Holy crap... I'd love to give one a shot. Wow.

Hopefully they don't hit Christie's Auction house before I win the lottery. ;)

tfb5701

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a few cigars that were imported to the USA in 1929 if I remember correctly. Might have to break one of them out and smoke it soon.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
How amazing a find is it, to find a sealed box of Partagas, pre 1900's.

I was thinking if I was some multi-millionaire, and won that at an auction or something, what a dilemma that would be. Do you open it, and smoke those sticks? How hard a decision is it to decide when to crack that seal and see whats inside. It could very well be the only intact box of its kind left.
If money was no object (ie independently wealthy), I think the approach for me would be to host a massive party... bust out the nicest scotch and wine I could find, get another great cigar or two to round out the evening, and have every one dig in. I think these have to be smoked (maybe I just miss the point of further aging/collecting?), and it would be far too sad to do it alone!

truckertim

Livin the Dream!!!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing find! Just the fact that they have survived untouched for over 100yrs is outstanding. I couldnt imagine smoking one, heaven indeed.