What's new

1940's Clear Havana

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Oldest cigar I've ever smoked...

1940's Blackstone Londres Extra (Clear Havana:NJ)
(Approx.) 44 x 5.5"; slight box-press, slight tapered head.
Pre-light: band was on the outside of the near-orange wrapper; this had been well cared for judging by the feel, look and 'pinch' of it; firmly packed, yet feeling much younger than it is - this stick is in it's sixties - older than my parents.

Clipped nicely with my brand new Palio, it never even hinted at unraveling.

With small veins, a slight cedar & unidentified sweet taste was produced by a cold draw.

1/3: It lit easily and immediately produced volumes of sweet smelling white smoke. Razor burn line never needed touching up & burned nice and slow, lasting a total of about 45 minutes. I gotta say - I'm really impressed with how good it tasted: grassy spice, nutmeg, some nice medium strength, perfect draw & a familiar 'twang'...

2/3: Slight 'musty' sweet tang with numbing sensation on the tongue, light anise, molasses, nutty, woody & very clean. While retro-hailing I noticed that it gave off a very unique & pleasant sweetness, with a slight bite - not sure how to explain it.

3/3: A tight spotted grey ash held firmly for over an inch consistantly with only slight flaking; flavors intensify, becoming more rich without gaining noticable strength staying a solid 'medium', yet leaving a slight 'dry' sensation at the back of the throat. I smoked this until it burned my finger tips, then took a few more puffs.

I think that age gave this stick some complexity [that I didn't expect], and demanded respect, thus the review!
'Wow!' is all I can say...

Thank you to Gotham-Museum, Nick & Mitch!

I'm inexperienced at 'old' stoogies, but hope to do this again! (& again!)

Merry Christmas!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Great review! I recently bought a pair of 1940s Garcia y Vega bonded Havanas, and I'm going to light them up with a buddy of mine sometime in the near future.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Very nice review. And from the looks of it, these were very well taken care of.
Thanks

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
very nice aj. you really echo many of the things i found in trying an "oldie"
i still have a couple and it seems pretty ridiculous to consider that i'm still letting them rest!!!