What's new

1998 Quintero Panetelas Review

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Today I’ll be taking the cellophane off a 1998 Quintero Panetelas, kindly given by @Nacho Daddy . Thanks, Tom!

0A5BE903-5EC2-45AE-9E3B-B3C9FC1899AD.jpegBEEF8427-A51F-4DF8-9A3D-63A2430BDBAE.jpeg94A5618D-FB6E-43F8-ADD3-493F88C0C6E3.jpeg

Had to sneak in some pictures with my precious drums. I don’t gig a lot anymore, so they don’t get to be seen too much these days.

Fairly cold morning as I step outside to enjoy this oldie. About 45 degrees on my porch, but not windy. This one has a bumpy wrapper, with an appetizing dark color and a slight box press. The cold draw doesn’t tell me much, nor does a sniff of the body and foot. “All right then, keep your secrets.”

First third: On light-up, I get big notes of sweet tea and vanilla. Through the first third, the vanilla fades eventually, and tea is replaced by a roasted pecan flavor. There are hints of some kind of fruit I can’t place. A very long finish on each puff, alternating between maple and chocolate. Good rich smoke.

CD9CB2E3-6DBB-4DA4-AF85-5993D8E8AEE7.jpeg

The second third begins as a thin but solid chunk of ash falls in my lap. Not as much chocolate here, more like a nice dry dusting of cocoa powder. The pecan sticks around, but tastes more like raw pecan, not roasted. Also a lot more sweet baking spices around the middle of the cigar, reminding me very much of an Upmann.

6E5B4627-2CB7-4415-BF2E-D4F5E78683C8.jpeg

Vanilla sneaks back in the mix here and there. Plumes of smoke coming off this little guy, getting more and more chewy as it nears the end.

5FC762BC-BDE8-4B8F-A2EA-E8A3631D0B22.jpeg

Last third: The pecan is just about gone, replaced by some nice coffee notes, and the chocolate jumps back in to say hello. As we heat up toward the end, I’m getting a taste of slightly burnt maple, but not at all unpleasant.

EDA7F79B-939E-476F-A2D5-DA9147C59ACC.jpeg

94EB6FC0-A1B8-4171-9D4E-ABEC21BF11FD.jpeg

At this point, the skinny nub burning my fingers with each puff, the neighbors might think I’m enjoying a different kind of cigar. Maybe it’s the ponytail... “Should I get the clips, or throw it in the bowl??”
This smoke stays good right up until the point where I can no longer hold it, and doesn’t disappoint.

1931BE16-D8B3-41C3-A4C4-DD5AAF248AAD.jpeg

Good aged smoke. Fifty minutes, at my pace. The strength remained a couple touches under medium throughout. Smoke output was fantastic the whole time, and the flavors were never harsh, not even when they got more charred toward the end. Very sharp burn line. This old man - the cigar, not me - gave a good show after waiting all those years. Bravo!

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Today I’ll be taking the cellophane off a 1998 Quintero Panetelas, kindly given by @Nacho Daddy . Thanks, Tom!

View attachment 178100View attachment 178101View attachment 178102

Had to sneak in some pictures with my precious drums. I don’t gig a lot anymore, so they don’t get to be seen too much these days.

Fairly cold morning as I step outside to enjoy this oldie. About 45 degrees on my porch, but not windy. This one has a bumpy wrapper, with an appetizing dark color and a slight box press. The cold draw doesn’t tell me much, nor does a sniff of the body and foot. “All right then, keep your secrets.”

First third: On light-up, I get big notes of sweet tea and vanilla. Through the first third, the vanilla fades eventually, and tea is replaced by a roasted pecan flavor. There are hints of some kind of fruit I can’t place. A very long finish on each puff, alternating between maple and chocolate. Good rich smoke.

View attachment 178095

The second third begins as a thin but solid chunk of ash falls in my lap. Not as much chocolate here, more like a nice dry dusting of cocoa powder. The pecan sticks around, but tastes more like raw pecan, not roasted. Also a lot more sweet baking spices around the middle of the cigar, reminding me very much of an Upmann.

View attachment 178096

Vanilla sneaks back in the mix here and there. Plumes of smoke coming off this little guy, getting more and more chewy as it nears the end.

View attachment 178097

Last third: The pecan is just about gone, replaced by some nice coffee notes, and the chocolate jumps back in to say hello. As we heat up toward the end, I’m getting a taste of slightly burnt maple, but not at all unpleasant.

View attachment 178098

View attachment 178099

At this point, the skinny nub burning my fingers with each puff, the neighbors might think I’m enjoying a different kind of cigar. Maybe it’s the ponytail... “Should I get the clips, or throw it in the bowl??”
This smoke stays good right up until the point where I can no longer hold it, and doesn’t disappoint.

View attachment 178103

Good aged smoke. Fifty minutes, at my pace. The strength remained a couple touches under medium throughout. Smoke output was fantastic the whole time, and the flavors were never harsh, not even when they got more charred toward the end. Very sharp burn line. This old man - the cigar, not me - gave a good show after waiting all those years. Bravo!
Great review but I'm very distracted by that beautiful Ludwig in the background.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Great review but I'm very distracted by that beautiful Ludwig in the background.
Thanks! My all-time dream kit, just got it all a few years ago. All maple except the snare.
26” bass drum.
14” tom
16” and 18” floor toms
Ludwig Supraphonic snare
DW heavy-duty hardware
Paiste Giant Beat cymbals (including 24” ride cymbal)

I like ‘em big! I sold two other drum sets, including cymbals, and a 1973 Rhodes piano to get most of it.