What's new

1st time home buyer

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Also, don't listen to what banks say you can afford. You can probably afford much less than they say because of added homeowner costs you wouldn't factor in if you've just rented. When I was buying a car, they told me I could afford an amount that was literally almost half my salary.

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
.. find one you can TRUST
Dave you know better. Rule #1 TRUST NO ONE!!!!!
If that's true, why should we trust that? or you? :)
All I'm saying is if you gonna spend $100,000, $200,000, 500,000 +++ don't trust the realtor that's there to tell you the house is in great shape etc.. They are there to just make $$ selling. The more they sell it for the more % $$ they take home. Its they're job. Always check behind them. I'm sure we have all put trust in someone to be fugged over somehow.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
All I'm saying is if you gonna spend $100,000, $200,000, 500,000 +++ don't trust the realtor that's there to tell you the house is in great shape etc.. They are there to just make $$ selling. The more they sell it for the more % $$ they take home. Its they're job. Always check behind them. I'm sure we have all put trust in someone to be fugged over somehow.
You knew I was kidding right? I even put the smiley face....

And you're absolutely right. I don't think my realtor had my best interests at heart, especially when he makes more money if I pay more for the house.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm married, and I work out of state 75% of the time.
Before I was married I had a 1200 sq ft town house. This small place allowed me to lock it up and go for weeks on end traveling for pleasure and work (I used travel a lot for work). DO NOT purchase more than you can handle. i.e. yard work and maintenance on a house adds up and fast, but in my case I bought a fixer upper and flipped in two years.

Be careful of capital gains tax.... research.

CS

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
You knew I was kidding right? I even put the smiley face....

And you're absolutely right. I don't think my realtor had my best interests at heart, especially when he makes more money if I pay more for the house.
I know Ara its seems ole Bryan has been touchy today. I have much respect for the Ara twins :)

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well.... WHY are you tired of renting? And where are you looking to live? What do you live in now and what do you think you want to move into (type of dwelling)

I ask because the advice while some of it is top notch addresses someone ready to move on something...your post sounds like someone tired of their situation but not ready or having made preparations to move

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm married, and I work out of state 75% of the time.
Before I was married I had a 1200 sq ft town house. This small place allowed me to lock it up and go for weeks on end traveling for pleasure and work (I used travel a lot for work). DO NOT purchase more than you can handle. i.e. yard work and maintenance on a house adds up and fast, but in my case I bought a fixer upper and flipped in two years.

Be careful of capital gains tax.... research.

CS
We somehow have three kids in something less than that. It used to be okay without kids, now it's a little small.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I just bought my first house a month ago. For me it was a quick process looked at 4 houses made an offer that day accepted the next closed in like 30 days. Normally doesnt go that easy.

My first suggestion is find a good Mortgage broker they will be able to help you find a good deal based your options. Luckily I had a friend who was a broker that helped me out. My real estate agent was also my friend so I had two people I could trust.

If you are or were in the military look at a VA home loan. They are the best thing out there right now. I got a house with 0 Money down, No PMI and worked out a deal with the seller for them to cover all closing costs and actually got money back at closing. I know all deals dont work like this but sometimes you can find a good deal.

Also when looking at houses look at the re-sale buying a house that may be bigger then what you need now may benefit you when you go to sell in the future.