What's new

2000 Vegas Robaina Classico

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the last of the cigars I received in booty from a brother at BOTL, I had originally planned to let this one rest for another year, but after reading some reviews, I couldn't resist...I had to smoke this Cuban!

I was hesitant to even cut this five-year-old cigar...it's just so beautifully made. I've never seen a cigar that was capped as well. It's a 6 1/4" by 43 ring with a somewhat toothy semi-Maduro wrapper. The predominate pre-light aroma is cedar. Upon moistening in the mouth, the taste of old leather quickly arises.

The cigar was cut with a brand-new twin-bladed cutter, and lit with my trusty Zippo.

WOW. There's no question from the first draw, this is going to be a powerful smoke. One word I think is overused in cigar reviews is "CREAMY"...but the first hint of thick, rich smoke from the Vegas most certainly qualifies to be called creamy. The draw is smooth and easy, redolent with cedar and leather, and hints at more to come. Lots more.

After the first inch or so, the cigar really begins to shine, with flavors of cinnamon and red pepper complementing the original cedar and leather flavors. It had a brief tendency to run, then settled into a nice, even burn.

This is NOT a stick for a newbie. It asserts itself very early on, and continues to build in intensity.

Nor is this a casual smoke. Set a couple of hours aside for it. As an accompaniment, I recommend a Kentucky sour mash bourbon, with water and ice. The flavors mingle well with the Cuban tobacco.

The finish, as expected, is powerful. It's not harsh, but it's full of spice. If you're lucky enough to have access to Habanos, and want a great smoke to end your day with, this is it.

I normally prefer a little bit milder stick, but the Vegas Robaina is so good, I have little choice in the rating. On the CIA scale, this one is a rock solid 1. This is a top of the line cigar.