What's new

2012 BOTL Spring blind review cigar No.4

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Punch Petite Coronas Del Punch OPM ABR 2009

Reviewer No.1

Pre-Light: Not a bad looking wrapper med brown shade. Cut nice and evenly with my Cuban Crafters cutter. Pre light draw was good. Get flavors of woodsy tobacco.

Drink/location: At the cigar lounge drinking Rum and Coke

1/3rd: Tourched this petite corona sized cigar up and right off the bat I get a strong blast of wood. But it dosent last long. It starts to turn kinda spicy with a nice leathery flavor. Ash is med to dark gray. Burn so far is even and I get some good thick smoke out of this cigar. Strenght wise I would say it's on the stronger side of meduim.

2/3: Cigar is still burning and smoking great. Nice spicy profile with some creamyness starting to develop. Strenght may have went down to meduim. But I'm really enjoying this cigar at this point.

Final 3rd: The creamyness has faded away and now I getting flavors of leather and tobacco. Burned this cigar down to less than one inch as it was quite enjoyable. Never had to do a touch up as it burned pretty straight.

I was a little worried how this cigar would perform as I had just received the box a week before the reviews. I smoked one after a couple of weeks went by and it wasn't nearly as good as this one was. Very muted tasting. This is why I prefer to give my cigars a good months rest before smoking them. But couldn't wait to try these. Luckily I put this cigar toward the end of our reviews so they could get a little more time in to aclimate before it was reviewd. Glad I did. I used to smoke Punch PCdP's quite often a few years back and had gotten away from them for some reason. I had heard some good things about them recently and decided to give them a try, as it had been a while. This is a nice fuller bodied cigar that I enjoyed the profile of. I would give it a score of 88-89 and may crack into the 90's with some more age. Look forward to see how they develop.

Note: Unfortunatly this cigar is no longer in current production as the Punch line has been really scaled back over the last few years. :frown:

Reviewer No.2

Cigar #4

First Third:
Starts great with earth and a sweet spice. Loads of smoke and the burn is perfect.

Second Third:
Vanilla and chocolate dominate with a sweet tingle on the tongue.

Final Third:
All the flavors above plus coffee what a great cigar.

Overall a great cigar my guess is a Monte 4 with 3 years on it.

Reviewer No.3

Good wrapper, no soft spots. Awesome barnyard smell! Clipped and could taste strong tobacco on cold draw.

Light was pretty intense, spice forward and had a rustic type of strength I immediately thought it was in that partagas/bolivar profile. Really like this type of cigar. About an inch in I could get a taste of starchiness that really through me off, I've gotten that a lot from RA's and a few Partagas but this was a little stronger than most RA's I've had so I don't know if I can trust my tastebuds anymore LOL.

I got quite a bit of nicotine from this, I was in my living room and the a/c was on but I could tell I was getting hot. Nice change from the others in the review, I like them on the strong side.

Finish was pretty sweet, not long but not so short that I forgot I just finished it.

A solid cigar. If hard pressed I would say RASCC

Reviewer No.4

Here goes nothing again

Blind Habanos Review- Cigar #4
5 1/8" x 42rg Petite Corona

Pre-light/Inspection
Cigar has a slight box press shape, only slightly flattened on the top and bottom. Perfect. Even lighter brown wrapper, no blemishes and seems to be wrapped perfectly. Once cut the cigar has a substantially tight draw.

First Third
Surprised by how little flavor this cigar had upon lighting, at least distinguishable flavors that is. Very even keel start, good burn and VERY dark, almost black, ash. Initial flavors are burnt cedar with a very slight sweetness to it.

Second Third
I'm tasting pure, clean and very enjoyable leather at this point. Still exceptionally smooth, very little "twang" at the moment. Tastes have not changed much, only becoming more pronounced and a bit stronger in body. Solid low-medium body.

Final Third
Flavors are kicking at this point, starting to turn a bit bitter when smoked too quickly. My bad. Burning like a champ now, holding the ash for over 1.5" at a time. Flavors have turned at this point to a very full-flavored herbal/tea-like rich tobacco taste. Very pleasant taste overall and the aroma was VERY nice. Put this one to rest with about 1" left.

Thoughts
I hate how it seems like I say this more frequently than not, but this cigar was a solid smoke with very nice flavors but the complexity was not overwhelming. Enjoyable? Absolutely. I would even keep a handful of these on hand if given the choice. Very good smoke, thanks to whomever donated these. My guess is an older Montecristo No. 4. Appearance-wise it is spot on, and the green grassiness in my experience with freshies is still there, but much, much more muted and balanced.

Thanks Kirk!

Reviewer No.5

Review #4
Cigar number 4 comes in at a measurement of 42ish by 5inches. It has a nice triple cap with a very soft feel to the touch(wrapper). There were no soft spots to be found and the prelight draw was spot on. (clean tobacco taste only)
First 3rd.
Cut with my palio and greated with fire from my Ligne II. The cigar took flame very easily. The first puff immediately gave me the taste of a PLPC. Sweetness(very) slight bitterness and on the back end of the tounge that pepper spice. After 15 mins the cigar was still performing well with tons of velvety smoke and plenty of sweetness with yet more light spice on the back of the tounge. Room aroma as always with many CCs is very enjoyable as well. The finish is long and lasts till every puff. Right now the cigar is a med body/full flavor.
2nd:
Starts off with more spice and a little less sweetness. Thru the nose however the sweetness is very prevelant but with no bite. Finish is still long lasting as well. Strength is still picking up but not more then a solid medium with the body being medium as well. Room aroma is very nice and slightly foral as well.
3rd:
Cigar has done a 180. Spice is still in the backround but any sweetness has been replaced with straight leather. The cigar has also picked up to full bodied and med/med full strength. One other thing has picked up as well...... bitterness. After purging 2x in a matter of 10 mins it seems the bitterness is not leaving. So as it stands right now with about 2 inch left I ask myself. Self.....What cigar could this be? Well it started out imo as a PLPC. Then seemed to have a very similarity to my favorite CC in the 2nd 3rd although I didn't note it at the time. (and its a slightly different size) The Partagas PCE. Then in the last 3rd went straigt body and leather.....Bolivar. At this point I'm pretty confused to be honest.
Cigar finished at roughly 1 hr 20 mins. Tons of smoke and transitioned thru out its smoking time.
My guess: Because it reminded me so much of my favorite cigar (Party Pce) although slightly shorter. Im going with the Party Mille Fleurs. Maybe with 5-6 years of age on it to round out the first half of the cigar. (The age let the sweetness come thru on the first half with a little age)

Last edited:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I'm impressed with the overall reviews but DAMN! Wish I could nail one!!! LOL It's a great experience and truth be told a great way to get back into the summer after taking hiatus this winter.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I really liked this cigar!!!!! Even if it was a Punch!!!!!!! I even noted Floral and Bitter 2 things I ALWAYS associate with Punch. Damn you man! Listen to the spoken word it was trying to tell you something..... :) This cigar really did have me all over the place. One question. Kirk was this yours?????? If so I know where I got this chest cold from! :)

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I really liked this cigar!!!!! Even if it was a Punch!!!!!!! I even noted Floral and Bitter 2 things I ALWAYS associate with Punch. Damn you man! Listen to the spoken word it was trying to tell you something..... :) This cigar really did have me all over the place. One question. Kirk was this yours?????? If so I know where I got this chest cold from! :)
Yes I supplied this cigar for the reviews:)

Sorry to hear that you have a chest cold.:sadstare: Sucks to be sick on Memorial day weekend.

As I mentioned I went through a couple of boxes a few years back and haven't smoked any lately. So I picked up a box of these and figured that they would make for a great blind review cigar. I knew it would be a tough one for you guys to peg. There isn't much Punch talk on the forums and when people recomend Petite coronas. The PCdP rarely gets mentioned. So they kinda fly under the radar.