2017 BOTL Pipe - Shape Discussion & Poll

Time to vote for the shape/maker of the 2017 BOTL pipe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
PIPE #1 - Brandon Brooks of B2 Pipes and Brandon Heath Briars

PIPE #2 - Jim Brown of Heisenberg Pipes

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on each, both what you like and what you don't.
As we discuss, you can change your votes if someone changes your mind one way or the other.
I will say, both artists are willing to make most any design adjustments we'd like, but cost may well be affected.
As they sit right now, we are at our target $225 shipped on each.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on each, both what you like and what you don't.
As we discuss, you can change your votes if someone changes your mind one way or the other.
I will say, both artists are willing to make most any design adjustments we'd like, but cost may well be affected.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like everything about number 2. The shape , the slight Bend , and the Chamber.

Number 1 is also very attractive pipe but too similar to others that I own. I prefer a slight Bend in the pipe.

Number 2 really hits all the buttons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think I'm spoiled, because #1 looks really rough, and i normally like rusticated. Something about it just doesn't do it for me.

#2 is really great looking.
Even though I was really looking forward to a bulldog for this year's pipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I don't like #1.

#2, what is the actual color of the stem? The first pictures it looked yellow or amber. These pictures it doesn't. I do like the color much better in these pictures.

Finally a bulldog wins and we still don't get a bulldog. That's a bummer. I don't vote much on these polls anymore and I'm unsure how to vote on this one. I usually just go with the flow of the majority and but what they pick. But I must say I am disappointed that one of my favorite shapes was picked and we still don't get it. And yes I do realize that a diamond shank is one of the more difficult shapes to carve so it may be more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Something just looks weird about #2. The shape doesn't seem right. Not sure I can explain how though. The stamping seems to be in a strange place as well. I'd expect to see it on the underside of the stem shank, not the underside of the front face.

The stain and, I assume sandblasting, isn't right on #1. The blasting doesn't look deep enough and the stain doesn't seem dark enough. It looks translucent, like some of the briar beneath is showing through. Is it a multi layer stain and I'm just seeing a different color show thru? Almost looks greenish. I have a feeling it looks better in person though. Is that a crack in the stem mortise?

My current preference is still for #1. The shape of #2 just seems off to me. Maybe a little clunky.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Number 1 looks like it would be a better smoker to me. The drilling looks spot on and the stem looks like a lot of attention to detail was spent on it. The finish and shape of number 2 look much better to me though. Leaning towards number two based on looks alone. Not sure yet though ...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I don't like #1.

#2, what is the actual color of the stem? The first pictures it looked yellow or amber. These pictures it doesn't. I do like the color much better in these pictures.

Finally a bulldog wins and we still don't get a bulldog. That's a bummer. I don't vote much on these polls anymore and I'm unsure how to vote on this one. I usually just go with the flow of the majority and but what they pick. But I must say I am disappointed that one of my favorite shapes was picked and we still don't get it. And yes I do realize that a diamond shank is one of the more difficult shapes to carve so it may be more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agreed on all counts

#2 has some really nice grain but I don't like the colors at all. Too orange and yellow. I like dark colors.

Based on the pictures I don't think either are the quality of the past 2 years POTY BOTL pipes.

I think a bulldog/rhodesian hybrid would be really cool.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I was hoping for a bulldog pipe as well, like Dave said it won the votes this year. But being these are our choices, I went with #2 as my vote. I have to agree with Ron and the stamping/branding is in a really awkward place. Hopefully it can be relocated somewhere else on the pipe, like in previous years on the side of the shank or bottom of it??? If this makes any sense to anyone, for some reason, I think this one would look better with a slightly longer shank as well. I could be wrong but again just an idea.

Either way, I'm in for the pipe and modifications we decide! (y)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm a fan of the smooth finish on the 2nd one. I just wish the transition area between bowl and stem wasn't as "chunky" looking. Either a traditional Rhodesian or diamond shank bulldog would fit my eye better.
That's what I was thinking as well...maybe thinned a tiny bit and a little longer shank it would look really good?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Out if the two, I like Pipe #1. Nice sandblast. Full sized pipe(length looks to be at least 5.5"?), and a traditional dublin shape.
Yeah, I keep forgetting to grab my calipers at work to take measurements. Partly why I've been waiting to post these, but figured pictures without measurements is a better start than no pictures at all.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The thing that turns me off a bit about #2 is the stem work. From a side view the lines don't seem to flow quite right, almost like it's a bit wavy? (Not a smooth bend?)

And the green band accent for me is a no

In all honesty, I don't see either one of these as a $200+ pipe, not even close.