What's new

22LR

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I saw that one of the local Wal-Marts had 22LR in stock. I drove there three times to finally catch it on the floor and I get the last box. Not even put on the shelf yet. Luck was helpful in this instance. This is the first brick of 22LR I've bought since probably 11 years ago. My boys are old enough to start shooting so I've been using up my old brick. The occasional rabbit also needs to be dealt with.

This link was my secret to success: http://findmeammo.com/walmart

Some people say they have no trouble finding this stuff, but here in central IA, I might as well dig in the backyard for a gold plated Pegasus that knows the secret to women and has winning lottery numbers.

Any Brothers have good 22LR stories?

22lr.jpg

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The majority of my shooting these days is .22 rimfire. When it was beginning to get scarce I actively searched to build a supply and did so. This past 18 months or so I haven't tried to find any. I have read several posts on rimfirecentral that 22 seems to be getting easier to find.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, 22LR has become pretty easy to find, here in Southern Nevada. In addition to the many B&Ms, we have an average of at least one Gun Show a mouth in the Las Vegas/Henderson/North Las Vegas Area. Sometimes there are as many as 3 different shows, within one month. The problem, however, is that the 22 ammo has simply gone up in price. In the past, you could pick up bricks of 500 rounds for around $25 and even less. Now days, they average between $45 & $55 for a 500 round brick.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yes, 22LR has become pretty easy to find, here in Southern Nevada. In addition to the many B&Ms, we have an average of at least one Gun Show a mouth in the Las Vegas/Henderson/North Las Vegas Area. Sometimes there are as many as 3 different shows, within one month. The problem, however, is that the 22 ammo has simply gone up in price. In the past, you could pick up bricks of 500 rounds for around $25 and even less. Now days, they average between $45 & $55 for a 500 round brick.
I remember getting the 500 brick from Academy for $19......the good ol days....actually I think it was 550 either way it was a steal

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Im not into the "hey this gun is big and I'm bad" type of thing (you know what I'm talking about theres always that one guy at the range).....my forever favorite cal will be a .22 here is my baby
the story behind this is, first gun purchase in my life at 16-17.....the money was made mowing lawns with my dad...took forever and we saved saved......def an amazing memory all courtesy of my dad...thanks for this thread bro

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Im not into the "hey this gun is big and I'm bad" type of thing (you know what I'm talking about theres always that one guy at the range).....my forever favorite cal will be a .22 here is my baby
the story behind this is, first gun purchase in my life at 16-17.....the money was made mowing lawns with my dad...took forever and we saved saved......def an amazing memory all courtesy of my dad...thanks for this thread bro

That is a work of art. Great purchase and great memory of you and your father. Keep it forever.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That is one of the greatest .22s ever made, Ruger, what else is there to say. Because of it's accuracy, it can be extremely deadly, on all sorts of game, easily out to 100 yards and more.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Thanks for sharing, Brother. In my teenage years I saved for a few firearms the same way. I don't remember when I purchased my Marlin Model 60, but it was before the AWB. It has the 17 shot magazine on it, which went away during the AWB and never came back, AFAIK. Love my pre-Remmy Model 60. Can about shoot a flea in half at 50yards with it.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
That is a work of art. Great purchase and great memory of you and your father. Keep it forever.
Looking for the receipt can't find it, this was back in the day, all good...I agree man never leaving the family now....last time we shot this .22 we grabbed some tablets from the dollar store, I think a fake tylenol whatever, even 25 yards out it stood up on top of plastic coke bottles its dead on w/the leopold...

That is one of the greatest .22s ever made, Ruger, what else is there to say. Because of it's accuracy, it can be extremely deadly, on all sorts of game, easily out to 100 yards and more.
agree 100%....cheap, fun, and accurate what more can you ask for in a weapon?

Thanks for sharing, Brother. In my teenage years I saved for a few firearms the same way. I don't remember when I purchased my Marlin Model 60, but it was before the AWB. It has the 17 shot magazine on it, which went away during the AWB and never came back, AFAIK. Love my pre-Remmy Model 60. Can about shoot a flea in half at 50yards with it.
Love it! Lawn mowing turned firearms...nice bro, thats a keeper (obviously its going to be lol)

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was in high school (graduated in 96) a brick of .22 ammo was about $10. Me and all of my buddies had Ruger 10-22's and would go to the creek that ran through one of my buddy's grandfathers ranch and go through a brick each on a Sunday. Wal Mart had the steel lips 20 or 30'rd magazines for cheap so we each had a handful of those. Still have all of mine!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Went into the cellar and found this thread. I love shooting and shoot much more .22 than anything else. That Ruger MKII Target slabside is a beauty and I bet very accurate, especially with good Ammo. I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Talo edition with a threaded barrel that is more accurate than I am.
I also have the old Remington 512 bolt action tube feed rifle from the 40's that I learned to shoot as a child. That old gun shoots great and it shoots a 15 round quarter size group at 50yds with open sights off a bench and front bag.
Last October I bought an Anshutz MSR 22 (looks like a SCAR) and put a 2x7 Zeiss scope on it and it is crazy accurate. Off a bench and front bag I have shot a group of 10 rounds @50yds and it makes a single hole easily covered with a dime. That is with some German made Lapua Center X ammo, which is kinda pricey. $10 for box of 50.
I love grabbing a cigar a couple of .22's and heading to the range. Love it.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I picked up a couple of shooter/plinker .22 handguns a couple of days ago. A Ruger Standard from 1969 and a High Standard G-B from 1950. I shot both several times before buying and I think I am going to enjoy both. Especially the HS. One thing I really like about it over the Ruger is you can literally field strip it in 5 seconds and no tools. Try that with a Ruger.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have a Ruger 10/22, I am not sure when I purchased it, but it was $99.00. I have a 50 round belt drive clip for it and cannot tell you how many bricks I have shot through it. Used to hunt squirrels with it, wife's uncle could not believe how I would kill more squirrels than he would. He always thought of me as a kid from New Orleans, and never realized I grew up in the country and started hunting at 9. I have always been impressed with Ruger, my carry is a P345.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I love how this has turned into a Ruger thread.. lol.. I have, and LOVE my 22/45 MKii Target, and 2 10/22's that get waaaay more action than any of the other firearms I own... which is mostly all Ruger as well! lol
.22 ammo is still pretty scarce around here (south AL/MS), with your best bet being at a show, where you can expect to pay nose bleed prices... I've been fortunate enough to have be a gun nut longer than the craze that swept the nation when what's his face took office 8 years ago.. So I'm still working on the 50-60 lbs of .22 I had stocked up before it disappeared from the shelves.. Prob down to about 25-30 lbs now.. I have no idea how many rounds that is though! lmao! I tried a little reloader for .22, and I can strongly advise against that.. what a pain in the rear. Cool, but only good if you have a few rounds, and you have to make em last..
My wife loves plinking around with the .22's.. I enjoy the bigger bang most of the time, but there's something satisfying about a full day of range time, and only about $20 being shot..

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I picked up a couple of shooter/plinker .22 handguns a couple of days ago. A Ruger Standard from 1969 and a High Standard G-B from 1950. I shot both several times before buying and I think I am going to enjoy both. Especially the HS. One thing I really like about it over the Ruger is you can literally field strip it in 5 seconds and no tools. Try that with a Ruger.
Taking that Ruger apart isn't too bad. Now getting it back together on the other hand . . .