What's new

2nd Tough Mudder Run

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
So I'm about 4 weeks away from my 2nd Tough Mudder run. It's August 16th; my 1st was back in May. And then I'm doing a Gladiator Rock-n-Run in September. It's 10 minutes form the house, so I can't pass that up.

Anyone ever done a Spartan Race?? I'm curious about those because I believe they are timed. Is that true? The competitive spirit in me wants to be timed.

Anyone? Buellar?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Man, I have been wanting to do one of these but it seems my body or well joints don't like the impact of running. I still have it as a goal to do one at some point with a team of friends.

Do you go at it alone or with some friends?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have a ton of friends who have done the tough mudders. I here they are kind of "gimmick" in that you run, wait you turn to get in the mud, run more, take a picture…. etc. Is that true?

I haven't heard much about the other events but I'll ask some friends and see if they have done them.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Did one a few years ago and it was the last one. It was definately Fun but I kept wondering why I had to pay money to punish my body and make myself feel like I'm going to die. I'm fairly fit but I didn't train at all for the event so that may have had something to do with it.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I hear they give you beer at the end..... Why not

I did a marathon once just to mark it off the bucket list

But backpacking 100miles through Wyoming was much more rewarding

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I did my first run with 5 friends and my wife. Did it to see if I could do it, that was my reason. I was able to complete all obstacles with no help, so I was pleased with that. But it's meant to be a team event. It's not a timed event either. And there's no way I'd run ten miles any other way.

We went with an early start time and didn't have a logjam on any of the obstacles; we were able to step up and get on with it. There is definitely time to stop, rest, snap a picture, etc. but with 10-12 miles of running through mud, up and down hills, and the obstacles, a few minutes of walk is certainly necessary every now and then. There's no way I'd be able to run the whole thing with no breaks

My training consists of mostly HIIT (high impact interval training). I usually do 45-60 minutes of that 4-5 times a week with weight lifting after the hiit workout. I do two days of running as well; four miles over pittsburgh hills. I'm leaning out with a dedicated diet and have lost about 20 pounds since the last run. I haven't weighed in for a few weeks, but that was the last count. The weight loss is all body fat and fir the first time, at age 40, I can see 4 of my abs. Only two more to go.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
And yes, after I the last last obstacles, which is called Electro Shock Therapy (YouTube it!) they hand you a cold draft beer. It's soooooo good.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
2nd run completed. The course was totally different than the last; lots and lots of big steep hills. Completed all the obstacles in fine fashion and only a minor injury to the big toe.

Not sure if I feel the need to do a 3rd run or not. We'll see if my friends wrangle me into it

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Congrats on the compeletion, sounds like a lot of fun.

And yes, after I the last last obstacles, which is called Electro Shock Therapy (YouTube it!) they hand you a cold draft beer. It's soooooo good.
That just sounds awesome a gruel at the same time. haha

[video=youtube_share;zawSX4OmCFs]http://youtu.be/zawSX4OmCFs[/video]