What's new

3+ Months Since Smoking - Humidor Care

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone!

So I've purchased and gone through the standard maintenance of my 50ct humidor since I purchased it a year or so ago. Since moving, college graduation, new career, etc. I somewhat put cigar smoking on hold (unfortunately). I've neglected my cigars and humidor and ultimately came back to dried out Boveda's and a dozen or so "crunchy cigars" (again...unfortunately). Is there anything special I need to get it back into shape? Do I just begin as if it's brand new and re-season it all together? If you've had something similar happen please share. Thanks all!

-Nick

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome back to cigars!

I had a similar experience to you. I stepped away from cigars in 2009 and started back at the beginning of last year. Unfortunately I had to toss the 20 or so crunchy sticks I had and completely re-season the humidor. I re-seasoned it by brushing the inside with distilled water and loading it with Boveda seasoning packs. Once I hit 75% humidity, I pulled the seasoning packs out and put in some 65% packs. It’s been smooth sailing since then.

Good luck. Cheers!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagined I would take it back to square-one with re seasoning the thing. I didn't know if I had to scrap the entire thing and purchase a new humidor. I may, however, downsize a bit to a cigar jar or herf-a-dor 20 count. Just toying around with some ideas. But I'll go ahead do everything you mentioned. Thanks for your input!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was flipping through my recent CigarInt. catalog for this month and they have some decent deals going on w/ their 5ct ones that include a 5pk of cigars. May be a bit too small though. You have any experience with herf-a-dors by chance?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Before you toss the cigars put them in a glass jar or good Tupperware with some Bovedas (not the 75s) and see if they come back to life. They can be pretty resilient and you may end up saving them. Start over with the humidor if it doesn't hold proper humidity.

Do you know how to recharge your Bovedas?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input Boudie! I do know how to recharge Bovedas, but was under the impression they still needed some moisture to be able to bring them back. I will give my cigars a chance to revive themselves, however I'm not very optimistic. These things are like graham crackers!

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bison, do Herf-A-Dor's have anything specifically in them to enhance cigar storage? Or is it just a marketing tactic geared toward cigar smokers that they charge more for? Any plastic"y" type smells in the Harbor Freight storage container or any draw backs you've come across?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Herfadors come with a small humidifier disk that I've never used. Use a piece of Velcro to attach a Boveda to the lid or just lay it on top of the cigars. I use the boxes recommended by Gobison with 62% Bovedas to dry box my cigars. Great storage and the larger ones are very handy when I want to have a good selection of cigars with me when traveling.

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Bison, do Herf-A-Dor's have anything specifically in them to enhance cigar storage? Or is it just a marketing tactic geared toward cigar smokers that they charge more for? Any plastic"y" type smells in the Harbor Freight storage container or any draw backs you've come across?
@Boudie answered all these questions above.(y) The only thing the HF case doesn't have is the foam with cigar slots like you see in larger herfador cases. I only use the bottom foam and the foam in the lid. Cigars travel fine that are in cello and any naked get an individual bag.