What's new

3rd shift

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I too have worked every shift, except the one you're on now.

My current position is from 0400 until 1430. Not day shift, but not overnight shift. It sucks because you're up before normal people and in bed before them as well. I get very limited time with my family so I have blown off friends for it.

I need a new job.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've never had to work nights, but I work in a 24/7 facility where operations cycles through 12-hr day and night shift. By far, my coworkers prefer nights. No one really looking over your shoulder, a whole lot more laid back.
One negative, I don't know if it's from going back and forth, or just going against the natural circadian rhythm, but I have been told that it plays havoc on the bowels.
My bowels are great today! Thanks for asking.
Yours?

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've worked all of the shifts and hated working evenings and nights. I'm a 0800-1600 kinda guy. As someone mentioned it does wreak havoc on the guts for me as well. In my current job, I occasionally work 30-40 hours straight with a little cat nap here and there during testing, etc. When I travel internationally to Europe, Middle East and Asia, that really messes with my sleep for the first few days as well as my guts. Coming home usually takes me longer to get back on schedule than arriving in a foreign land.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just recently transferred to nights, 4pm-3am.... More money less bs and bean counters, no other trades in the way and o yea more money, plus I see my kids in the morning hang out before school and see mommy waking up. It's not for everybody but for now it's working

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Right now I work at rotation shift. Sat sun 0530-1330, mon 1330-2130, and tues wend 2130-0530. Tues wends are by far the best days to work. quiet, and can get way more done in a shorter period of time mostly because our train traffic cuts in half after 1900

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have done about every shift like a lot of guys. I personally prefer 2nd shift. I only deal with my boss for about 2-3 hrs a day which is good cuz hes a dick. I am FAR from a morning person. I hate waking up to an alarm. Just makes me pissed off the rest of the day. I could never get a sleep schedule going on overnights. What I did find was that around 2 or 3 I was wanting to pass out no matter how much sleep I had gotten.
Now I am one of those "lazy" 2nd shifters that sleeps til I wake up (around 9 most days). My wife and I make it work. We talk on lunch breaks and meet once a week for a lunch date.
As with anything though, its all individual preference.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to enjoy working a week of night shifts from 11pm-7am. Things were a bit less busy overnight so you could almost relax and take your time getting work done, and plus there are no managers there. You get home and either relax and have breakfast, or jump right into bed and sleep most of the afternoon. Then you get up and have the whole evening to do whatever you want before heading into work. Plus there's little-to-no traffic working those hours.

They key is to figure out a sleep schedule that works for you and stick with it.