What's new

$4000 Cuban budget... what do you buy in Havana?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hypothetical situation... You have 4K to spend in 4 days of cigar hunting in Havana. What do you buy? What are you specifically on the hunt for?

It's not really hypothetical, rather my plan for my 2nd trip this year to Havana in November, and I'm just curious.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the political climate in the US, I realize it may be a long time before I can go back to Cuba so I want to make this trip count. The GF is on board so that doubles my luggage space and customs seems to be more forgiving/lenient with her with me...

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Lol after reading that title, I was waiting for it to say.. said no one ever in the comment!

But man that's awesome, committed indeed!
I'd be stocking up on H. Upmann's, Mag 46, Sir Winston, Probably a lifetime supply of HUHC.
Then I'd raid the Bolivar line up, Belicosos Finos, Royal Coronas and as many Coronas Juniors I could stuff in my luggage.
Finally as many Trinidad Fundadores I could get with the change. Yep that would see me home a happy man.

I think I'd lean towards mad quantity rather than chasing LE or Regional Releases. But that's just me $4k could land you some interesting sticks I'm sure.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOR sure. Lots of Upmanns as the Sir Winston is one of my top 5 favorites. I'd like to hope that I can find some behikes and some of the more rare/hard to find sticks but that's part of the fun. The last tentative list had just about everything I "want" and when I did the math it was a little much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to boast or brag, and I may spend less but want to bring enough cash just in case. Plus I need to allocate funds for Rum. Brought 13 bottles back last time and now we know what we like and how quickly it seems to disappear.

Attachments

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
FOR sure. Lots of Upmanns as the Sir Winston is one of my top 5 favorites. I'd like to hope that I can find some behikes and some of the more rare/hard to find sticks but that's part of the fun. The last tentative list had just about everything I "want" and when I did the math it was a little much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to boast or brag, and I may spend less but want to bring enough cash just in case. Plus I need to allocate funds for Rum. Brought 13 bottles back last time and now we know what we like and how quickly it seems to disappear.
Well Rum and Cigars, that's reasonable then (y)
Haha to be honest if I had that in my hand I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on a decent stock of booze n cigars!

Seriously get a box of Trinidad Fundy's! Awesome stick. And a bottle of Ron Santero 11 Year Rum!
gallery-1476478482-havana-club-seleccion-de-maestro-0.png

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
With $4k if you're going to be in Havana, hire a guide and go buy every single custom roll you can get your hands on. Check out this post by @AlohaStyle from a thread I made a couple years back when I traveled to the island. Believe me, a couple years out, I can say without question that the custom rolls I picked up on that trip were by far some of the best cigars I've ever had. Post up or PM me if you have any questions or there's anything I can help with.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
A question from a cc newbee.. Whats the price difference between buying then down there and say from a reputable online vendor that opperates in a tax free zone? Id been thinking about going down myself next year with my wife for our 15th anniversary. I too had thought about a sizable budget and stocking up for a life time, but my concern is that while customs seem to be more leniant right now, they dont have to be.

That would ne a whole lot of moola down the drain if I was the lucky one picked out. My thinking is that if I buy online, I'm paying more and dont get to hand pick but if I use a reputable source I'm guaranteed to get what I pay for eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question from a cc newbee.. Whats the price difference between buying then down there and say from a reputable online vendor that opperates in a tax free zone? Id been thinking about going down myself next year with my wife for our 15th anniversary. I too had thought about a sizable budget and stocking up for a life time, but my concern is that while customs seem to be more leniant right now, they dont have to be.

That would ne a whole lot of moola down the drain if I was the lucky one picked out. My thinking is that if I buy online, I'm paying more and dont get to hand pick but if I use a reputable source I'm guaranteed to get what I pay for eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is a pretty accurate price guide down in Cuba.

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2016/12/cigar-price-list-in-cuba_7.html?m=1

Online markups range from 30-100%+ from the vendors I've purchased through. And I'm less than 100% confident about the authenticity of some of my orders. You can easily search out to see which vendors have positive ratings and which are bogus.

I've gotten a few boxes from a legit source who brings them back from Cuba but I did the math and it's cheaper for me to actually make the trip myself and bring them back.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
This is a pretty accurate price guide down in Cuba.

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2016/12/cigar-price-list-in-cuba_7.html?m=1

Online markups range from 30-100%+ from the vendors I've purchased through. And I'm less than 100% confident about the authenticity of some of my orders. You can easily search out to see which vendors have positive ratings and which are bogus.

I've gotten a few boxes from a legit source who brings them back from Cuba but I did the math and it's cheaper for me to actually make the trip myself and bring them back.
Are you in Canada?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new rules are supposed to post on the treasury site soon. They were supposed to post yesterday. I hope you don't get screwed over sideways.
Ya. I've been watching that. Worst case I'm out about $150 for the house we are staying at. I used points for the flight through SW and can cancel or change it.

Hoping like most items with the government it takes a while before they finalize.