What's new

?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I’m still really new to the pipe scene. The more that I try, I keep finding that the online descriptions of the blends I really like have Perique & the ones that I don’t care as much for contain Latakia. What are these & what’s the difference?

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Latakia is smoke-processed over wood fires, so it tastes and smells really smoky, like peated whisky or smoked meat. A lot of smokers don't like it, or at least don't like it at first then develop a taste for it. Perique is strain of tobacco from Louisiana. Not sure if there are special curing/fermenting methods but it's a strong, dark tobacco, and has plummy + spicy flavors. A lot cigar smokers like it because of the strength and spiciness. I suggest you give Mac Baren Acadian Perique a try, and lay off Latakia blends for now. Also maybe check out some dark fired blends. Also smoked but not nearly as intense as Latakia, and a totally different flavor. Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is a good one.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Latakia is smoke-processed over wood fires, so it tastes and smells really smoky, like peated whisky or smoked meat. A lot of smokers don't like it, or at least don't like it at first then develop a taste for it. Perique is strain of tobacco from Louisiana. Not sure if there are special curing/fermenting methods but it's a strong, dark tobacco, and has plummy + spicy flavors. A lot cigar smokers like it because of the strength and spiciness. I suggest you give Mac Baren Acadian Perique a try, and lay off Latakia blends for now. Also maybe check out some dark fired blends. Also smoked but not nearly as intense as Latakia, and a totally different flavor. Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is a good one.
That explains it!!! Thanks