What's new

A Hint of LEATHER?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have been smoking cigars for over two years now. I have tried tones of cigars and over the coarse of 2 years my tastes have changed, I now enjoy the finer cigars out there such as Opus, Padron, Pepin, and ISOM's the most. But here is my question for all you brothers out there.

Is it important to be able to say that this cigar has a floral, nutty, leathery, toasty, coffee, or chocolatey taste to them? To this day I could only tell you that it has a spicey peppery taste or it is a nice smooth creamy. What is it about all the cigar reviews. am I missing out on the cigar experience by not being able to tell you that it had a hint of rose, and a touch of toast? I guess I just lite them up and enjoy smoking a good cigar. One final thought, What the hell does leather taste like?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Kelly, it's frustrating but easy, some can taste things some cant. It doesn't make anyone better or worse, but it's just the fact. Do this, read a review and keep it in your craw, then get that smoke and during it, try to pick out the flavors, it works for me.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Everyone's palette is different. I can really pull alot of spices out as long as it's smooth, but for the life of me I can't see the difference among different Sun Growns. They all taste harsh and bitter to me. I can taste even the slightest hint of coffee, but I have yet to taste toast in a cigar. The point is that everyone is different. All that matters is that you can tell what you like.

Case in point, I just called a cigar in our review contest a no doubt Sun Grown. It tasted like all Sun Growns taste to me right now. I think it's going to end up being that it was just a bad cigar that was harsh and bitter. In the end, all I need to know is that I didn't like it.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
:stretchgr I have that problem with wine, but I still love it. Cigars are a little easier for me, but I still struggle with some flavors occasionally.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Kelly, same here. I can pick out a smooth, bitter, spicey type cigars. But I can not pick up all of the other stuff. I smoke what I like and I like what I smoke. Enjoy.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Take your time. A couple of years is nothing. If you are enjoying your smokes very little else matters. A lot of it is taking time and relaxing. One day you will realize, hey this cigar tastes like cherries or chocolate or woodsmoke. It will come. I think a lot of it is trying different cigars with a clean clear pallate. I notice the most with my first cigar in the morning on an easy Saturday after a leisurely breakfast. Cigars are fun, not a test. Enjoy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:stretchgr I have that problem with wine, but I still love it. Cigars are a little easier for me, but I still struggle with some flavors occasionally.
I never understood the hype about wine, until I tried a rather rare bottle provided by my brother who worked at a fine dining restaraunt. It was then I could taste and smell the oak. After I knew what to look for, I can now pick up fine hints of it in the "common man" prices that I can afford.

My palette is very young when it comes to cigars. I'll continue to buy fivers until I find that cigar that does it for me and is quite consistant. Good luck with the venture. It's not about the desitnation but the trip!!!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you are enjoying your smokes very little else matters.
Listen to the wise one!

And I agree with Wade, read a review of a particular cigar and smoke it. It helps to try to identify the various flavors. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but it helps to sort things out.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I found that if I take the time to truely focus on the cigar and I have no distractions I can really pull out different flavors. If I have distractions I can't.

Ever relace a baseball glove or notice the strings have come untied while playing and use your teeth and one hand to retie?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree with the other folks--like what you smoke, and that's what matters. But sometimes I'll come across a cigar that really has flavors that folks have described...this is maybe 1 in 5 times for me. But all of a sudden, I'll say, "Oh, that's what that tastes like." Know how leather smells? That's pretty much the taste you get. I'm racking my brains trying to figure out which stick I've had that tasted like leather, because there was one in particular where I really got the taste. I believe it was a Bahia Gold Maduro, but I could be mistaken.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Most of it has been said. You may taste citrus in one of those Opus you smoke, but it won't be like biting into a tangerine, just a hint of it. Now I've a few that taste strongly like leather. I used to do a lot of leather work in the boyscouts, and would chew on a little scrap of leather, so that one is obvious to me right off the bat. But basicly what leather smells like is what leather tastes like.

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0
Kelly,

I have been smoking for 10 years and I still can't determine notes. However, I know what sticks I dig and those are the ones I buy. Yea, it would be nice to taste cigars like others do wine, but I appreciate both for what they are...

....hours of blissful diversion from the monotony of day-to-day rigors!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Take your time. A couple of years is nothing. If you are enjoying your smokes very little else matters. A lot of it is taking time and relaxing. One day you will realize, hey this cigar tastes like cherries or chocolate or woodsmoke. It will come. I think a lot of it is trying different cigars with a clean clear pallate. I notice the most with my first cigar in the morning on an easy Saturday after a leisurely breakfast. Cigars are fun, not a test. Enjoy.
Chuck is right. As long as you enjoy, who cares. I personally do reviews, since I enjoy writing. I do not get to write enough, so this is a way for me to be a little creative. As for wine and cigar palettes. I have been smoking cigars for a long time and lucky for me, I am able to pick out flavor/tastes. Wine is the same way for me.

It was not a skill developed, just occurred. I like Wade's method though. Just keep in mind. People's tastes are different. One person may come up with Coffee, the other may say chocolate. I am still trying to understand the dirt one though? lol... Haven't had that since I was about 2 years old. hehe.:thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
huh, I love smoking cigars, I love trying new ones too. I don't personally think it isn't important to be able to pick out notes of this and that. I enjoy a cigar for the plain pleasure of smoking a great stick.