What's new

A look back at cigar prices

Isaiah

Casablancas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve only been smoking for about 3 years and have seen prices increase in this time frame. For the guys who have been smoking for 10,20,30+ years have the prices been going up a crazy percentage or have been steadily increasing over time? Did you see a large price increase during the boom?

I was listening to a podcast and they said in 1994 they said an AF 858 was $1.40 and now its about $6. Which seems like a huge increase.

Interesting to think about how much a cigar will cost 10 years from now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massachusetts or Grand Cayman depending on weather
My standard is the first cigar I ever smoked, and still smoke today (among many others): Parodi Amazatti. 50 years ago when I bought my first box of 5 it cost $0.23 or about $0.05 per stick (now that's a bargain). Today it's about $1.00 per stick (and about $0.75 each in boxes of 100). This represents a 6% compound increase (i.e., a 6% increase applied every year for 50 years, if you do a present value calculation). In comparison, based on the inflation index over that same period, a 5 cent cigar should cost only $0.35 today. So the cost of Parodis has increase at almost three times the rate of inflation.

If I had investments that performed that well I could afford to smoke a few of my favorite Padron 1964s every day instead.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Starting in 1987 I sued to box 6 count packets of Antonio y Cleopatra Grenadiers for around four bucks at Walgreens and smoke one a night in the middle of the night while at work.

I guess it's nice to get cigars so cheap, but I still cherish the day one of my friends at work offered me a hand made, properly humidified cigar. Game changer right there.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I was smoking a cigar at school in the smoking area behind the dorm and the night time security guard pulls up and gets out to check the doors and starts talking to me and turns out he’s a avid smoker too! He was telling me how a 7-8 dollar stick was 2 dollars back in the day and how he used to smoke several sticks a day but at the prices of sticks today he’s only smoking a few a week.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1970 prices at Tinder Box was fair. ......$1 and for a sophomore in HS. .. affordable. Today one has to be a cigar shopper and wait for the good deals... free shipping .and coupon codes help alot. Almost 50 years later one can still get good deals and .one can be stiffed by unscrupulous Vendors. .. cigars are still a good deal but we need to be better shoppers.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
1974, Cuesta Rey toro tubos............$1.75 for three, when El Producto was $.15 each.
1975,Hoyo Rothschild Maduro...........$17.50 for a box of 50.
these were made partially with Cuban tobacco.
gas was $.30....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain things tend to Inflate at a higher rate than everything else. Tobacco being the main one. State by state it varies widely too of course.

I'm younger than most everyone here. I started smoking cigars at 20 and am now 26, so I don't remember the good ol days of cheap cigars.

That said I look at cigar prices in Canada/ the UK and other countries and am very happy I live in america

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Dont forget the "sin tax" attached to tobacco and alcohol over the past 20 years. That's a big part of it. Bought my first can of snuff in 1983 at the ripe old age of 12.(perfectly legal back then) 86 cents would buy a can of Copenhagen. Today in Texas, same can is $6.70

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Dont forget the "sin tax" attached to tobacco and alcohol over the past 20 years. That's a big part of it. Bought my first can of snuff in 1983 at the ripe old age of 12.(perfectly legal back then) 86 cents would buy a can of Copenhagen. Today in Texas, same can is $6.70
I remember buying cigarettes for less than a dollar. Over $12 a pack here, now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember in 1979 when a carton of Marlboro cigarettes at the post PX in Mannheim Germany was $2.50 and good cigars we're about 25 cents and for a dollar you would get something exceptional.