What's new

A National Roll-A-Thon 2018? CFW Benefit

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hiya! :angelic: Sooooo.... I've been kicking around this idea for awhile now... but you know... ideas are useless without application of some kind... so I figured I'd open a thread of communication here to discuss the real possibility of ROTLs & MOTLs (Rollers Of The Leaf & Masters Of The Leaf) from all over the US gathering together for a Roll-A-Thon to benefit Cigars For Warriors. :angelic: CFW is a nonprofit organization. If you're not familiar with this amazing charity yet please look them up they are doing some wonderful things and have great pictures on social media of the fruits of their labors. So far I've sketched out a few plans to help give body to the idea and see if we can toss around some more ideas in this thread to bring life to the project.

:cigar:I've been hanging around here chatting up with the MOTLs on this site for awhile now and there are some really awesome people with truly good hearts.... AND good sticks. Most of us have never met one another but have grown fond of each other, learned from one another and even shared tastings with one another. I know this would be a labor of love, but it would also be an opportunity to get to meet, roll and toast some warm bevs together.

It is my hope that we can find a nice place to roll in Denver Colorado, a very smoke friendly and centrally located state with lots of tourist locations should anyone decide to make a vacation of it. I also thought getting an air bnb would serve to house us should anyone want to save bucks on lodging. A few dates have been tossed around for July.

My goal is to acquire the leaf we need through sponsorship. The leaf would be spread out during the event for us all to access... much like cooking ingredients... and then we rollers would select from the general supply, blend and roll whatever we can produce in the time we commit to. Rollers can create as many or as few blend variations as they desire with the leaves provided. I would generate a list in advance of the leaves desired so that I can arrange to have them included if at all possible. All the sticks would be collected and donated to Cigars For Warriors.

:writer:I'm tossing around the idea that guests who may come to watch the event may leave tips for the rollers. It is my hope that I can find someone to match those tips dollar for dollar so that the monetary collection will be substantial enough to provide the shipment of our sticks to CFW and finally to the warriors, if there is any excess the organization can use it for other cigar shipments.:happy:

All rollers and masters are free to bring additional pre-rolled donations with them to add to what they can create during the Roll-A-Thon. (Time YTBD) Rollers who do not blend, bind and wrap... but who only wrap ...are also welcome to bring the prerolls they have and wrap on site for donation only.

:shame:On a personal note, my fiance was a 2LT. He was honorably discharged due to being disabled, following an unrelated near fatal car accident that shattered his brain in 14 places. I roll for his peace of mind on a regular basis, so I know the true value of cigars to PTSD survivors, I live with it everyday and so does he. I know that when he is in distress and then takes a cigar time out, he stabilizes. I won't touch the medical and science of all this right now because it's not the place but I do mean to convey that cigars serve more than a social experience for many and especially for our soldiers.

IMPORTANT NOTE Masters & Rollers: :sneaky:This is not a speed competition or a volume competition. :stop: The goal is to produce as many as we each personally can for the good of the warriors. If you can roll 5 and 5 is all you can roll in the time allotted... then 5 it is. Think of it like a Walk-A-Thon but only our fingers are doing the walking :p You go at your own pace but your do your personal best. (y) This is also not about the best looking sticks either, so don't count yourself out because you judge yourself too harshly :nailbiting:, no need to be fearful of judgement, this will not be a judged event, showing up already makes you the winner's the soldiers need you to be! :kiss: I for one will be rolling various grades from cheroot to vault blends of various vitola. It's about the quality of the quantity, good tasting blends that a soldier will sit back and have a 30-60 minute therapeutic session with, hell if you want to make 10 minute quickies that works too. :)

So with ALL that said, I want to first invite any roller at any level, to include new rollers, to gather with us and roll out for warriors! :happy: Keep in mind during the Roll-A-Thon, the only focus will be cigars. :cigar: Newbies who would like tips and advice etc., should save their inquiries for the social sessions to ensure the beneficiary gets maximum benefit for our time and efforts. There will be an optional 30 minute smoke break/social session every hour during the event so the rollers can mix and mingle:bag:, answer questions :brb:, get a drank:woot:, sign autographs :ROFLMAO:lol and well... SMOKE! (y) lol If you would like to participate in the event or to help with planning... please comment below so we can begin sharing thoughts and putting the plan to action.

Thank you all and let's make it happen!

Last edited:

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
One of the Mods should be able to move the post, just really not sure who all the mods are... @Angry Bill

This sounds like a wonderful charity event, I hope you all are able to make it happen!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sooooooo.... CFW is low on sticks... who is still down to represent for rollers? Saturday July 21st Denver Colorado.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sooooooo.... CFW is low on sticks... who is still down to represent for rollers? Saturday July 21st Denver Colorado.
Everything very fluid on my cross country ride right now. One sister went senile, another had a stroke, two others on the Big Island evacuated due to lava (still can't get hold of one), and my fave kid sister her daughter is having six brain surgeries in a row. So I was going to visit all my sisters, but now the whole schedule is up in the air. I will be going thru Denver. I'll try and make it. Bought the cross country bike down in High Point NC Thursday -- a 2016 Kawi Versys 650LT. Runs great. Farkling it now. Setting off July 1st. Hope to know which way I'm going by then. Keep me in the loop & I'll try and make it is best I can say.