What's new

A Proposition for All You Homerollers

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Attention all BOTL Homerollers!!

I would like to run a feature series on Blind Man's Puff about the members at BOTL who make their own premium cigars. Part of the series will be including some of your homerolls in upcoming blind reviews on BMP. I'd like to gauge interest and get an idea on how many of you want to participate. Here are some of the things I have in mind so far (subject to change of course):

1. Those who are interested in participating would submit 5 cigars (identical sticks, same blend, same vitola) for blind review.
2. Along with the 5 cigars, you would also submit the information about the cigar (wrapper, binder, filler, size, age, etc)
3. You would also submit your name as the cigar maker (Username is fine if you prefer to not use your real name) and some basic bio info about yourself.
4. I will then catalog all of the submitted cigars, remove the original bands (if any) and send them out to the reviewers to smoke.
5. The BMP panelists will then smoke and review the cigars not knowing what they are or where they came from. Reviews will then be submitted to BMP and compiled to publish the results on the site.
6. Once all of the submitted BOTL homerolls have been reviewed and published, we can have a prize to the BOTL member who received the best overall rating and score.

Thoughts? Please post here and let me know.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Agree with those two guys up there. I've said it before, the home rollers we have do some amazing looking work that has fooled me into thinking it was professionally done. And as last time, that's no slight against your work. You guys are definitely professionals about it.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm excited about it but behind on production....about to be away for a week for work so...production won't be happening soon. I'd definitely want to participate if possible, sending more than one blend...

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm in. I don't have anything really that is already aged that isn't spoken for already. Most of my stuff is best if it can rest two months post roll so if we all get rolling now they would be ready around the new year.
I find 2 months to be the minimum as well. @A Huge Nerd, how about we aim for having 5 packs to you the 1st week of January?

A Huge Nerd

Lee-Hair-Oh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
First of all, thanks for showing interest in this. I think it will be a fun project, and hopefully give some much needed attention to the world of home rolled cigars. It might also be worth it to do a write up on the companies that many of you buy your leaf and supplies from. If any of you have relationships with these vendors, I would love the chance to do an interview with some of them.

As for the timeline, it looks like we have a consensus that at least a couple of months are necessary so you can submit a product you are happy with. Since a busy season is coming up, I will set January 31st as the deadline for submissions. If you have product ready to go already, you can certainly submit it now, but January 31st will be the cutoff date. I have a list below tagging the users who have expressed interest. Please post and tag anyone I may have missed, or who may not have seen this thread.

@nic
@BrewinHooligan
@Jim D
@kamaangir