What's new

a smoke for the kids

Doc

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Saw this on another site and thought I would pass it on.

Stogie Commentary: Smoking for the Children

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 It happens to me from time to time, and I’m sure it has happened to many of you too. You’re sitting at one of the increasingly rare bars that allow smoking, enjoying a cigar, and suddenly you’re being harassed by an anti-tobacco zealot.
Often they flap their hands around, pretending to cough as they wave smoke from their face. On rarer occasions they will confront you to loudly proclaim, “That stinks! Can’t you put it out?” They might even laughably suggest you are killing them or giving them lung cancer by smoking nearby.
I write “laughably,” by the way, because even government studies suggest non-smokers need to live with smokers for decades before any measurable increased risk is detected. So a few seconds, hours, or even days adds virtually zero risk. But I digress.
How to respond to such a person is not an easy question to answer. We cigar smokers are generally considerate people, so while telling them to buzz off with some choice words has its appeal, that’s not the route I usually take. Instead, I often just say sorry it offends you and go on smoking, or recommend a nearby bar that doesn’t allow smoking. If it’s not inconvienent for me I may even move to another part of the bar.
But since the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP ) is about to be funded through massive tax increases on tobacco, including roughly 40 cents per smoke for premium cigars, I’ve got a new reply to this annoying breed of anti-tobacco zealot: “I’m smoking this cigar for the children.”
After all, only with enough smoking will the government be able to pay for the SCHIP program. In fact, it is estimated that 22 million new smokers will be needed to fully fund the egregious scheme.
And that brings me to the final thing to say to the kind of person who would harass a complete stranger engaged in a perfectly legal activity. From now on, I plan on asking: “Why aren’t you smoking? Don’t you care about the children?”
-Patrick S

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So the feds create a new tax to fund health insurance for kids. In order to fund this, 7% of the population needs to start smoking. At the same time most states and municipalities are restricting smoking. Hmmm....does this make since?

And we wonder why this country is F**D up.

CoolP

Toro! Toro! Toro!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love the kids!!! This board should get a grant to promote more smoking. Everyone who writes a review of a premium cigar should get a stipend.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love it! especially the last line "Why aren't you smoking? Don't you care about the children?" That will make some smoking nazi blow their double, double soy latte right our their nose!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Now we're supporting the families in the countries where our cigars are made but the children of our own country. I should put this down as a charity thing I do when applying to jobs!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Charity Schmarity. This is a tax write-off

Yeah baby, and some of those kids must surely go to my church, so my cigar purchases can now be written off.

YES!!!!!