What's new

About to Walk Into A Cigar Shop

SmokeyTheBear

Smokey Bear
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to walk into a cigar shop with 50 dollars for my first time. What are the do's and don't's of this? What are the best cheap cigars? What are the worst? Things I need and things I dont?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hopefully the shop owner is knowledgeable and you sound like you need some guidance in that sense, go for it and just have fun and tell him you're on a budget and here is what you like.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Start with Fuente and Padron to get you started on the right foot, don't spend more than $6-7 per stick, and talk to the shop owner. You will probably like also the cuban names ie. Montecristo, Romeo & Julieta etc as you seem to be new to this.

Try to get as many different kinds of cigars within your budget and educate yourself about each one. Have fun and just explore and try everything, that's the best part about being a new smoker.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Start with Fuente and Padron to get you started on the right foot, don't spend more than $6-7 per stick, and talk to the shop owner. You will probably like also the cuban names ie. Montecristo, Romeo & Julieta etc as you seem to be new to this.

Try to get as many different kinds of cigars within your budget and educate yourself about each one. Have fun and just explore and try everything, that's the best part about being a new smoker.
Good advice here. Along with Padron and Fuente, I'd say pick up an Oliva or two. The B&Ms around here have the Serie V for about $6.50 and the Series O and G are less than that.

Grab some matches and a cheap cutter and go to town.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hopefully the shop owner is knowledgeable and you sound like you need some guidance in that sense, go for it and just have fun and tell him you're on a budget and here is what you like.
I would say the same thing. Most shop owners I've ever dealt with were pretty knowledgeable, after all it is their livelihood. I'd just let him know what you enjoy (Mild-Med-Full bodied/strength and size (ring gauge) that you enjoy the most. That is if you've been able to determine that yet. Tell him how much you feel comfortable spending per stick and he should be able to lead you to things you will like.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great advice! Can't go wrong with a Padron 2k-6k, Oliva Serie V, AF, Cubao, DP 601's, Alec Bradley (Tempus, Sun Grown) all very good smokes at around 5-7 bucks per stick. Nothing wrong with striking up some cogent dialogue with the B&M staff, telling them about yourself (likes and dislikes) and letting them recommend a few sticks.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Everyone here is giving you great advice. I also would add this... Don't spend a lot of money on any one cigar. When you are new to the hobby (at least in my personal experience) your palate isn't going to quite be ready to pick up the subtleties and nuanced little notes to make a 20$ cigar worth the money. Smoke good, less expensive cigars for a while, and figure out what you like, what you don't like, what brands you want to explore, what brands don't interest you as much, what sizes you like, and when, all of that. As for brands... Padron, Fuente, Oliva, Alec Bradley, Don Pepin Garcia, Nestor Miranda, La Aurora, and the less costly Tatuaje cigars are all fantastic places to start. Fuente and Padron even have cigars that are realllllly great that fall in the $3-$5 range (at least around here) that will allow you to try different blends with different wrappers (Maduro, Sun Grown, "Natural", Cameroon, Connecticut, etc.)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You most likely already went in for your first time but one thing I like to do when I mix it up is pick up whatever samplers the shop has. The one I always went to would make their own samplers but most come boxed and ready to go. These give you a good mix usually.