What's new

ABT Recipe (BACON!)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oh man, are these things good.

I found these mentioned around a couple other forums and tweaked the recipe a bit. They have a silly name - Atomic Buffalo Turds, guess that's why they get called ABT's.

INGREDIENTS
10-12 Jalapeños
1 lb of bacon
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup cheddar cheese
3 fresh chorizo links
Barbecue dry rub
Garlic powder to taste (I would have used fresh but I didn't have any)
Onion powder to taste

This was a great use for some of my homegrown jalapeños! I didn't have enough on my plant so I had to get some from the store, mine look much better, but I digress.

PREPARATION
This part is pretty easy, nothing too crazy here.
- Skin the chorizo and brown it
- Sliced the jalapeños lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins
- Spread the bacon out and sprinkle it wit the dry rub.
- Get your grill or smoker heated up to about 250F.

PREP CONTINUED
- Once the chorizo is browned, drain it to remove excess fat. If you don't have the time to let this cool to room temperature then rinse it with cold water.
- Mix the chorizo, cream and cheddar cheeses, garlic salt and onion powder together. If you like you can add some of the dry rub here as well.
--- The cream cheese acts mostly as a binder here, the bulk of the mixture should be chorizo and cheddar.

ABT ASSEMBLY
- Take a jalapeño half and a load it with a heaping teaspoon of the mixture. The size should be about the same as if the pepper wasn't but in half.
- Wrap that sucker in a piece of bacon. Some recipes use a half a piece per ABT.
- Repeat until your our of cheese mixture, bacon, or jalapeños.
*NOTE* I ran out of bacon first and had some of the cheese mixture left. This will makes a killer cheese spread for crackers! You could dice some of the jalapeño and mix that in as well. Nom.
- Some of the rub may come off of the bacon, once these are all assembled you may want to dust them up again.

COOK 'EM!
- Place these over indirect heat if you are using a grill!
- In my gas grill I turn on one side of the burners and I had an aluminum pan with mesquite chunks over the flame.
- Close it down and smoke these for about 2 hours.
- WARNING! Do not take a knife and fork to the smoker and eat these off the smoker like that's your plate. That's rude.

SOME VARIATIONS
- Eliminate the chorizo and use another cup of cheddar cheese then place 1 little smokie link inside the jalapeño before covering with cheese.
- I saw a lot of recipes that put a bit of honey in the cheese mixture.. whatever floats your boat.
- Mince fresh garlic and onion and use those in place of the powders.
- Use poblano peppers.
- If you have leftovers and you refrigerate them you could probably slice them up and make an omelet for breakfast the next day. At least I think you could - not that I made an ABT omelet. But if I did I bet it would be delicious, especially with some whole wheat toast.

Enjoy!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Thanks for the recipe!

Just so folks know...Using the poblano peppers in place of the Jalapeños would definitely lessen the kick in case hot food isn't your thing (as Tim suggested under thye variations list)

BUT, poblanos are much larger and cavernous...You'd really need to (at least) double the rest of the ingredients to go this route.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
These things are great! My variation is to replace the chorizo with Conecuh sausage. It's made in Alabama and available throughout the southeast and a few of the midwestern states. For those of you outside this area, they do ship!

www.conecuhsausage.com

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Add this to the cook book. After diet time, I am all over these.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
These things are great! My variation is to replace the chorizo with Conecuh sausage. It's made in Alabama and available throughout the southeast and a few of the midwestern states. For those of you outside this area, they do ship!

www.conecuhsausage.com
I'm almost positive I've seen that package in the stores here but haven't tried it, I'll have to pick some up. THANKS!

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Awesome Recipe and pictures this will be in the cook book! Keep em coming guys this is going to be an awesome thing for BOTL when done!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The wife has been making these lately but didn't think about putting chorizo in them,,,nice touch! These are so good that I eat a dozen at a time and then wonder why my ass is almost bleeding. Guess I should have her take out more of the seeds.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Tim, thanks for posting the recipe! :thumbsup:

It look delious and I definately plan on trying it real soon!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yum Yum! OK if I cross post this on the BOTL Biggest Loser thread? I need some help against my competition over there, and this just might do the trick.:eyebrow:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yum Yum! OK if I cross post this on the BOTL Biggest Loser thread? I need some help against my competition over there, and this just might do the trick.:eyebrow:
Simply switch jalapenos with habaneros. Weight loss gtd.