What's new

Actual -vs- Perceived Flavor

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
- A little something that could help guys/gals new to the cigar life, that are still finding their way.

It's hard NOT to get wrapped up in the reviews, or what the media and marketing have to say about a certain cigar, brand, blend, factory, or even farm... All of which can, and does, greatly influence our perceptions of a stick. I'm guilty of looking at the reviews before trying a smoke, and all I can think of while smoking are the comparisons of those reviews. And consequently, I never gave the stick a fair shot.. and might have missed what could have been a great cigar experience, solely based on what others had to say. With time, I've gotten better about trying blind (no reviews/other's opinions), but still find myself stuck with those preconceived notions of what's good and bad; regardless of weather or not I've actually tried them. I mean, we all know Gurkha, AB, & RP suck... But do they really? Beauty is a nice smoke. Prensado is worth keeping on hand, and I'm sure RP has something good, I'm just not familiar with them (simply because they supposedly suck)

Anyways, just thought I'd share a video I ran across on just this subject, albeit he's talking wine, but the principal can be applied to pretty much any industry were taste and opinion matter. Especially the world of premium cigars.
Enjoy!

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I gloss over flavor mentions in reviews, especially from specific website reviewers. Half the time, the shit sounds so made it up that it should be in a children's bedtime storybook. So much prose it isn't any enjoyable to read. I look for facts, like tobacco, factory, is it LE or regular production, exc. After seeing what tobacco makes the cigar, I can usually tell if it's something in my wheelhouse to try. Reputation plays a smaller role in trying out cigars for me. Some of the companies, including the ones you mentioned, just haven't offered me much in memorable experiences. Every Gurkha I've smoked has been one dimensional, AB have been poorly constructed, even a large amount of Tatuaje all have very similar profiles. Just a few examples of my experiences off the top of my head. YMMV (y)

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I gloss over flavor mentions in reviews, especially from specific website reviewers. Half the time, the shit sounds so made it up that it should be in a children's bedtime storybook. So much prose it isn't any enjoyable to read. I look for facts, like tobacco, factory, is it LE or regular production, exc. After seeing what tobacco makes the cigar, I can usually tell if it's something in my wheelhouse to try. Reputation plays a smaller role in trying out cigars for me. Some of the companies, including the ones you mentioned, just haven't offered me much in memorable experiences. Every Gurkha I've smoked has been one dimensional, AB have been poorly constructed, even a large amount of Tatuaje all have very similar profiles. Just a few examples of my experiences off the top of my head. YMMV (y)
Yeah, once you know what you like, and what to look for, a quick peruse of the details is enough to get a general idea. And tastes are so varied from person to person that the reviews are usually way out there. (Lol..papa choigui-fatty tuna)
I've found that following the blender is the way to go, once you find one you like. But a lot of guys rely on the reviews to tell them about the stick. I did when I was getting started.. Now, I like to look at the reviews after a stick or two, to see what others thought in comparison. It adds some interest, but doesn't influence.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Pickles, are you still on pain meds, brah? Or, are you so Hipster that you don't even want to consider taking them to suppress the pain?

...or do you want a shirtless, man hug?

Uh bro purposefully not taking pain meds so you can be in pain wouldn't be hipster it would be more emo get it straight.

That being said, the epidural they put in me basically stopped working on the first day, so I was off pain meds as coincidence would have it. It fucking hurt man.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Uh bro purposefully not taking pain meds so you can be in pain wouldn't be hipster it would be more emo get it straight.
haha - well played!

That being said, the epidural they put in me basically stopped working on the first day, so I was off pain meds as coincidence would have it. It fucking hurt man.
Holy crap! I can't even begin to fathom that - sorry to hear that, man. Sounds like you're on the up-and-up though, right?

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yeah, the immense pain on the second and third days after the surgery have made the rest of this a total cakewalk. I'm just taking Tylenol when I wake up atm. Goin back to work on monday

Edit: or I guess Tuesday, forgot memorial day for a second..