What's new

Advice on 2 weeks in Italy

PSD4

Rocket Man
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned this week that my company is having our mid year meeting in Milan and the meetings will wrap up on Thursday, May 29 after which my wife of 30+years and I are planning to take 2 weeks to tour Italy.
I very much need some advice on vacationing in Italy and would appreciate any first hand recommendations on making the most of our 2 weeks.

My initial thoughts and plans:
Flight: Houston to Milan – Tour Italy – Finish in Rome and take flight from Rome to Houston.
Start on Friday May 29 - Milan to Venice by train.
Venice to Cinque Terra
Cinque Terra to Florence
Florence to Siena
Siena to Rome
Rome to Houston on Friday Jun 12.

Questions:
-Do my wife and I do it on our own? i.e. train reservations, hotels, etc?
-Instead, do we try and hook up with a Tour Group so as to do-away with most of the hassle of finding hotels, train/bus schedule-reservations, etc?
-Right now, the plans that are firm are that we begin in Milan on Friday May 29 and depart Italy and return to Houston on Friday June 12.

I sincerely would appreciate advice on:
1. Must see cities/areas to visit and why.
2. Traveling between cities by train or bus (or combo of the 2)
3. Utilizing tour companies/groups or doing it on-our-own. Our perhaps a combination of us on-our-own for some of the trip as well as utilizing tour companies for some of the trip.
4. Any must-see cigar venues (LCDH, B&M’s, restaurants or even park benches to stop for an hour or two to enjoy a cigar. I will pack some of my own sticks in my trusty cigar caddy.

Any advice from the BOTL community will sincerely be appreciated.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Think of the Italy trip as smoking a very fine, distinguished cigar: you want to savor every minute and not feel rushed. In my experience, you've got a very ambitious itinerary there. Doing 2/3 of Italy in 2 weeks is like going to Disney for 3 days and trying to squeeze in all 5 or 6 theme parks in that time. You can do it, but you're going to feel exhausted and miss a lot of nice details.

Rome is obviously a must. Your mind is going to be blown to smithereens by the scope of that city and its history. I spent 10 days there in '93 and still didn't see everything I wanted. So I would allow as much time as possible there, followed by Florence. You can always come back for the rest (and trust me, you'll want to). :)

Also, planning a trip of that length on your own is very time-consuming and costly. I would definitely get a travel agent my friend; they know the ropes and usually have the best deals. (y)

jason

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We've done Italy about 4 times and have been as far north as Venice and all the way down to the "boot" and love the country. The history in Rome is amazing and right now Trevi Fountain is undergoing a total overhaul and it was a mess when we were there last Oct and don't see it being taken care of within the next few months but if you've never seen it...by all means take a peek. The best way to get around Rome is to use the On and Off deal where it takes you to every site and depending how long you want to stay in Rome it's worth the price because you can't just drive into the areas unless you have a pass or you rent a scooter...I did the scooter only because it is cheap and I ride motorcycles so it's easy for me. You have to see the Vatican and the museum...get there early as they stop letting people in after 12 noon. The Coliseum and surrounding area are a must see.
Florence and Pisa are a must as well and if you don't mind using a train to get there it is worth it but remember...you'll be doing a lot of walking once you get there. We found that flying from one location to another...example Rome to Venice is a lot cheaper than driving...1 1/2 hour flight and you're there and use a taxi or service to get from the airport to the island...lots of walking there as well.

The south of Italy ...Naples and Sicily are fun but not as fun as Rome...you could spend 2 weeks in Rome just exploring that city easily.

PSD4

Rocket Man
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys very sound advice.

Jason,
I will take your suggestion and consult a travel agent. So, to trim down the areas, would you suggest Florence and Rome and by-passing Venice? Last sumer, we spent a week in London and one week in Paris and enjoyed every minute. One thing my wife and I agreed on was that we would have liked to have seen more of the French country side and take in some of the small towns. We most definitely will make time for touring the country side. Possibly an idea would be day trips to Tuscany from Florence?

Gary,
My wife and I both very much like traveling by train in Europe. We are not planning on renting a car and will go 100% public transportation. You mention flying from city to city. Would you recommend this over using the train.

I very much appreciate both of you guys providing insight. I read each of your comments carefully and welcome any other comments or suggestions you may be able to provide.

Thanks very much!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I will take your suggestion and consult a travel agent. So, to trim down the areas, would you suggest Florence and Rome and by-passing Venice? Possibly an idea would be day trips to Tuscany from Florence?
Sounds like an excellent plan. Florence and Rome will keep you busy for quite some time. The treasures in both of those cities (both popular and hidden) are numerous to say the least. I cannot speak to Venice or Tuscany because I didn't make it to either...let Gary answer that one. Good decision on the travel agent!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When in rome you need to go to vatican city and go to the top of the dome of st. Peters the view is something you will remember for a long time. Also the vatican museum is worth the effort to see. also the roman forums, they are just accross from the colesium. In florence i forget the name of the bridge but it is famous because of the shops that line both sides. I worked there for a year and i hardly scratched the surface of things to see.
one of my favorite things to do in rome was pick one landmark to see take the subway there then take the rest of the day and wander back to the train station finding some hidden gems along the way.
i am sure you will have a wonderful time, enjoy.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ponte Vecchio. I could spend 2 weeks in the Uffizi gallery, and see MMichelangelo's David, and go to the top of the Duomo. Florence can be awful touristy though. Just wander around and get lost in Venice. But Seriously, if I had my druthers I would spend the whole 2 weeks on the Amalfi Coast. The most beautiful place in the world.

Ed Murray

Tubbs
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me: Milan -> Sienna -> Rome -> Pompei and Capri -> Rome -> Home

Pompei is absolutely fascinating and Capri is simply gorgeous - spend the night.

Or... if you are into relaxing and wine:

Milan -> Sienna -> Tuscany for a week visiting hill towns and drinking wine -> Rome -> home.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rome is terrific, as well as Vatican City. Venice is also a great destination. Florence, Pompei and Milan are also cool. Overall it's hard to do Italy in 2 weeks but then again it's hard to find a bad location.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm sure I'm in the minority and am even being blasphemous when I say Florence is over-rated unless you're really interested in Renaissance art and want to spend time indoors at museums. It's also overcrowded, very expensive, and outside the museums not that interesting. Same with Pisa - it's the leaning tower and that's pretty much it.

Definitely get to Venice. Despite the crowds etc. there's really nothing like it on earth and it's a truly magical place. Pompei is also great, and the Amalfi coast is wonderful. Wherever you decide to go, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!