What's new

age old question [randomness]

VirginIslander

This Space For Rent
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Sorry to revisit this, but tonight it was re-enforced to me. Does the cigar make the experience, or does the experience make the cigar? Well, I think its a cooperative relationship.

Tonight my [future] father-in-law went to Florios in Little Italy (one of the few places in NY you can smoke a cigar AND be served a cocktail), sat there, ordered a drink and lit up. Him with a Monte (Didn't see which one he selcted), and I picked out a LFD Double Ligero (I like the bigger RG, but don't usually have time for them). Shortly after, a couple from Boston sat down, and the gentleman was carrying a La Gloria Cubana Serie R. His initial question was "So are you guys Yankees fans?" Which you would think was normal if this wasnt coming from someone from Boston. Anyway, the conversation flowed on about this and that until we had to eventually leave.

What it comes down to is that the conversation would not have flared up had it not been for the commonality of cigars, and had they not been quality cigar, the conversation wouldn't have flowed....whether it be a bad tasting cigar, bad burning and having to give too much attention to the stick, etc all detracts from the conversation. So, in my eye, they make each other. Just my .02

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
while i agree that cigars spark up conversation, my experience is the quality of such doesn't make much difference. more times than not, i meet people who don't know too much about them. and, they usually are Thompson customers... nothing wrong with that,,, as it's where i got my start!

regardless, it's a lot of fun meeting new people that share the same passion!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
A good cigar alone is good. An average cigar with friends or in a special situation...
fantastic!
Well put Greg. My best cigar experiences are always with friends. Plus I find no matter where I am. if I want to meet people, a cigar store is the place.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Ah, Florios! I've had many an Osso Bucco there! Did you happen to go to Ferrarra's across the street for pastries after?

As to your question, I think that those are moments that just happen due to circumstances. Nice when it does!

VirginIslander

This Space For Rent
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Ah, Florios! I've had many an Osso Bucco there! Did you happen to go to Ferrarra's across the street for pastries after?

As to your question, I think that those are moments that just happen due to circumstances. Nice when it does!
The girls went into Ferrarras, but at that point we had already stopped into Florios, got a smoke, lit up and walked out with the chicas....then decided to go back into florios and have some scotch. I also had some B&B for the first time and loved it. I sell it all the time, but had never tried it.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
A good cigar alone is good. An average cigar with friends or in a special situation...
fantastic!
ditto greg.
i've had some great smoking experiences with an average cigar and good friends. and on occasion, i've had a great cigar, been alone, and wish i had someone to share the experience with!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I have to say the experience makes the cigar. I have never had a truly great smoke where the situation didn't add to it. With friends is always great, but it dosn't have to be with people for me. Some of my favorites are watching the sun come up alone in my back yard with Coffee in hand or late at night on a cool beach under the stars.

If the air is crisp enough, the view majestic enough and the cigar good enough, I can even enjoy the silence of my own company.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a gregarious person and fully enjoy the company of others. When I recall the very best moments of my life, they all include other people. And I love sharing a smoke with others as we chat.

But when I think about the best cigar I ever smoked, it was just the two of us, in attentive communion. Well, my dog was there too ... but she said nothing.