What's new

Age?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So, I just bought a tin of GLP Odyssey while looking for some rare GLP blends for Ted and I notice it has what looks like a date stamp on the bottom. This one reads 060602 so I guess I scored a three year old tin. :thumbsup:

One question I have though is how is the age determined without a similar stamp? :dunno:

The two tins of Esoterica tobacco I have bought along with the tin of Dunhill 965 don't have any stamps on them. I just put a sticker with the date I bought them on the tins. Is this how you guys track the age of your unstamped tins, just note the date of purchase?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No idea, but is age good for pipe tobacco?

I bought some Dunhill London Mixture, and they told me to make sure I got the newer stuff...

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Todd ... most brands do not date the tins. To my knowledge, Cornell & Diehl, GL Pease and McClelland are the only ones who do. Some other ways to tell older tins is by the artwork on the tin (or paper label), the type of tin or the origin. Dunhill, MacBaren, Rattray and several others have changed their tin artwork over the years and/or the location of where the blends were made.

For instance, Dunhill tobaccos are now made by Orlick (since August?). The tins have the same artwork, but they have a sticker on the bottom marked "Made in The EU". Many have commented that the new versions of Dunhill are very different.

HERE is an interesting website with some tin dating details on Dunhill, Rattray and others.

For my own reference, I just put the month and year of purchase on my tins ... although in most instances, they could be much older.

In general age helps most pipe tobaccos, just like cigars. The differences will be more pronounced in those blends high in Virginia leaf. Heavily flavored blends actually lose some taste over time.