What's new

Aging cigars.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If this has been discussed before, I wasn't able to find it.

What's everyone's take on long term storage/aging of cigars in there original box? I've got some boxes going on 4+ years and want to know if its advisable to keep them in there or somehow shield them from the cedar so they don't get that much cedar on them. What is a technique used to keep the cedar off of them...Now I'm not going to sbeild them het but when and if I do would like to know a good way as so I don't f up the rest if the long term aging.....
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
why would you shield them from cedar, when that is how they are usually stored long term?

still new to aging/ long term storage myself, but understant that a little lighter hand with both temp and humidity helps (65 deg & 62%rh?), but mostly you want to keep them undisturbed. leave the cabinet closed, box closed, and mitts off! cookies don't bake if you keep opening the oven.

as for non-box storage: ribbon them into wheels? 25 &50ct cabs are frequently ribboned together in box, so tie them off pretty and let them rest.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well, I for one don't want to age a cigar for say, 10 years then find out its too cedary for me. That's why I'm thinking when I get my cabinet I'm going to, in due time, remove some of my collection from the box. Just not sure what I'm going to do with them yet....

As far as aging goes I keep all my smokes at about 66. Aging to me is just not smoking them, nothing to do with humidity. Although I may be horribly mistaken.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
How about putting them in plastic bags? Or just leave them hanging out in the open in the cabinet?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Leave them in the original boxes! Some people take the cello off and some don't. Cedar is part of the magic aging process so I leave the cedar in the boxes. I'm one of those people that take the cello off but that's just me.

Xingpao

Tobacco Whore
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I know I've seen a post explaining the science of aging. Perhaps google can find it if I have shamedly seen it on another forum.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Some guys don't like the amount of cedar a box can impart on say cigars that are 5-10+ years old. A few hear would say that statement is true with many NCs. I thought even PJ stated once he does not like Tat Noellas with box aged cedar more then 3-4 years. After that he recomends taking them out of the cedar cab and placing them in a baggie, then back into the cab. Some purists would say true aging would be not only keeping in the cadar cabs/boxes. But also not even opening the boxes at all. Or only once a year to check on them. Even closed boxes will receive air circulation. Although not as much as cabs that are opened often. I believe in the "leave them in there home" theory. And also "don't mess with them" more then 1-2 x a year thoery as well. This would also include cabs/ boxes of CCs.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Some guys don't like the amount of cedar a box can impart on say cigars that are 5-10+ years old. A few hear would say that statement is true with many NCs. I thought even PJ stated once he does not like Tat Noellas with box aged cedar more then 3-4 years. After that he recomends taking them out of the cedar cab and placing them in a baggie, then back into the cab. Some purists would say true aging would be not only keeping in the cadar cabs/boxes. But also not even opening the boxes at all. Or only once a year to check on them. Even closed boxes will receive air circulation. Although not as much as cabs that are opened often. I believe in the "leave them in there home" theory. And also "don't mess with them" more then 1-2 x a year thoery as well. This would also include cabs/ boxes of CCs.
This is more what I was looking for. Thx

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just throw the whole box/jar/cello, etc. in the humidor and not worry about it. I even leave the wood box in the original cardboard box, if they came that way. I go so far as to leave the cigars in the jar, in the styrofoam, in the cardboard box. Guess I'm just lazy. Will find out in 5-10 years whether I've made a BIG mistake... :)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
.......:thumbsup:

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just throw the whole box/jar/cello, etc. in the humidor and not worry about it. I even leave the wood box in the original cardboard box, if they came that way. I go so far as to leave the cigars in the jar, in the styrofoam, in the cardboard box. Guess I'm just lazy. Will find out in 5-10 years whether I've made a BIG mistake... :)
This is pretty much how I do it, after letting the cigars settle after 2-3 months I put them box/jar in ziplock bags.
I do remove the cardboard boxes thoug.

I think there is much to belearned by MRN, it is a fact that cedar is proven posiive for aging cigars.

I have no experience of aging ncs and the few times I have had some aged ones (10 years) i think they have passed their prime and for this reason I dont see any value in vintage ncs.
IT might be a market for them but non that I am aware of.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How long is too long to age a cigar, is there such a thing?
There is definitely such a thing, I've had some great NC's that lost all of their taste after 3 years of aging.

I had been saving a Holy Lance for a couple years, then smoked it in celebration when my wife told me we were going to have our first child... it was hot air, nothing more. Perhaps it had been abused before I got it, but I won't be wasting my time with storing those away from now on.

As previously stated, some cigars become much better with age, and others simply don't.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is pretty much how I do it, after letting the cigars settle after 2-3 months I put them box/jar in ziplock bags.
Must be some large bags to fit jars. Do you still get plume development without air circulation? Just curious. I know a lot of guys swear by the ziplock and forget it method.

I have no experience of aging ncs and the few times I have had some aged ones (10 years) i think they have passed their prime and for this reason I dont see any value in vintage ncs.
IT might be a market for them but non that I am aware of.
Agreed to a certain extent. Preserial padrons taste exactly the same as new ones - maybe drier. :rofl: The original Davidoff Millenium perfectos are flavorless. Most general brands are useless. However, certain marcas are doing it right, namely AF with Opus and the 858, LFD with its small batch program, and the Pepins. The amount of difference a Tat shows in 5 years is tremendous. The development is astounding, as if its a different cigar (same to be said with the other two, although not to such a high degree). I can only imagine what these will taste like in ten years.

It shows that after the tobacco's pedigree, blending really is an art.