What's new

Aging Nicaraguan Tobacco

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what the consensus was on aging Nicaraguan Tobacco,

It seems that it doesn't age well according to the internet (it must be true if its on the internet right?? :LOL: )

Here is the story, when I joined here I had smoked only 2 cigars and needed more information, @Tyler86 was kind enough to send me a noob bomb with a hugh selection of sticks and a note explaining the strength and which ones he liked best.

Last week I found a Tatuaja Tattoo in the bottom of my single stack that he had sent,It was dated 2019 so I had it for two years and I don't know how long he had it.

It was the best cigar I have ever had

I have noticed all the cigars I smoke have a little bitter edge,this one had NONE, was it the age???? all of my sticks are fresh and not aged I understand that Cuben tobacco ages well but others might not.

so what have the experienced folks here found?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
I was wondering what the consensus was on aging Nicaraguan Tobacco,

It seems that it doesn't age well according to the internet (it must be true if its on the internet right?? )

Here is the story, when I joined here I had smoked only 2 cigars and needed more information, @Tyler86 was kind enough to send me a noob bomb with a hugh selection of sticks and a note explaining the strength and which ones he liked best.

Last week I found a Tatuaja Tattoo in the bottom of my single stack that he had sent,It was dated 2019 so I had it for two years and I don't know how long he had it.

It was the best cigar I have ever had

I have noticed all the cigars I smoke have a little bitter edge,this one had NONE, was it the age???? all of my sticks are fresh and not aged I understand that Cuben tobacco ages well but others might not.

so what have the experienced folks here found?
Can't really answer your question, but I'm curious about the consensus of aging nc's, as you just don't really hear about it like with cc's.

I was graciously gifted about 6 aged nc's, all from around 2005 to 2006, and all have been excellent, but all are new ones to me, so I have never had a fresh one of them to compare with.

Looking forward to some aging experts to chime in

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal experience is that some age well, even phenomenally, but others don't. I realize that is unhelpful, but that is my experience. I will say that higher quality NC have a much higher chance of improving, and most My Father stuff tends to fall into that. Regular production Padron is often considered good with age as well. Stronger blends tend to mellow out a bit and can sometimes radically change. Note, we're talking aging, not rest, so I tend to think that as >3 years, more in the 5+ years range. One that stands out in my mind was the relatively cheap bundled El Cobre by Olivia. They were super strong, and 3-4 years downtime changed them into marvelous smokes for me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pretty much as mentioned, in my opinion. It all depends on your taste buds as far as when a cigar is ready. You can age the piss out of some turds and they will still be turds. Some are good after a couple of weeks to settle after shipping. I think cigars that are a bit strong for your tastes will mellow, reduce some of the harshness with age, Light bodied cigars if aged too long can loose the subtle flavors the blender intended.

Because it depends on your taste buds it's up to you to find the sweet spot. Only way to find that sweet spot is to buy 5 packs and smoke them with different amounts of time in your humidor. Keep records it's part of the hobby if you get into cigars. I bought a bunch of Diesels a while back. Three years later they are a fairly enjoyable smoke.

You have to have good storage condition or even the best cigars will be disappointing.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Boudie Man you are right about proper storage!

the first 3 cigars I bought I smoked the first one and let the others sit in a plastic bag in the livingroom for about 3 weeks (I had no idea about storage) it was a Oliva serie V and it was wet you would have to be able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose to smoke this thing :LOL: It was totally un-smokable ,I came here and got the proper info to store them right and never looked back.
This is a fun hobby and keeping records is part of the fun. ( Ihave been a little slack on that one) I need to up my game.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As you are learning it's certainly helpful to make notes about the cigars you've smoked. As the size of my inventory has grown I need to keep records because I keep buying stuff I already have!

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tatuaje/ Lat, Illusione,Padron,My father, Lfd are some that have exponentially improved w/time for me. Newer acquired for me in last yearish Hvc, Aladino, Patina are getting better also. My guess/strategy is that higher end smokes are probably a safe bet to lay down.
This seems to be the general consensus , good quality N.C's will "probable " improve, Your basic dog rocket weeeeell will still be a dog rocket

As you are learning it's certainly helpful to make notes about the cigars you've smoked. As the size of my inventory has grown I need to keep records because I keep buying stuff I already have!
I was keeping a book with notes on the cigars I had smoked I even glued the bands down in it for reference but like I said I have been slacking off and need to get back to it

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Tatuaje/ Lat, Illusione,Padron,My father, Lfd are some that have exponentially improved w/time for me. Newer acquired for me in last yearish Hvc, Aladino, Patina are getting better also. My guess/strategy is that higher end smokes are probably a safe bet to lay down.
Agreed! Smoked and old Tat Fausto yesterday! Yellow Cello! What a great cigar. Only one left :cry:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Agreed! Smoked and old Tat Fausto yesterday! Yellow Cello! What a great cigar. Only one left :cry:
I have only had a couple, but really loved the Fausto
They do seem like they would age well too
Never really done much aging myself, but sometimes something about certain Cigars just makes them seem like they would be great aged
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
In my experience, age has always made the cigar better. I tried the whole "smoke one every 6 months to see where it is" but I don't even do that anymore because every cigar I have had with 2 years on it is significantly better. Now if you age it for 10 years I can imagine It would dull out but I don't think I'll ever have a cigar for that long. I will say that Dominican cigars show more improvement than Nicaraguans but both are substantial.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One other thing to note. You can tell when a cigar will greatly benefit from aging. If the flavors are off-balanced, pepper is too much and doesn't complement it, has a new gamey tobacco taste, etc. I don't concern myself with aging super-premium cigars because they are already dialed into perfection. However, I have found that they even improve slightly but much less noticeable.