What's new

Aging the cheap CC's? Worth it or wasting space?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With CC prices going through the f'n roof I decided to pick up 10 boxes of what are safe to call cheap CC's (Monte #5's, Quintero, Guantanemero, and Jlp) and give up on the idea that I will ever stash away a pack of Behikes, let alone a box of them.

My question for those more experienced than I is: do these cheap sticks get any better with age like their more sought after counterparts or should they be enjoyed whenever? If aged, how long should they lie asleep assuming I am not running low on other options?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my method for deciding on if something is worth aging.

Smoke one after a couple of weeks. Smoke one at three months. If there is some promising change, wait and smoke one at six months. If they are markedly better wait another 3-6 months, or starting smoking one per month. Also order more so that they are ready when the first batch disappears.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
In my opinion I’d give any Cuban a year. After that the lower end ones I’d just enjoy them for what they are. I’m certainly no expert when it comes to anything cigar related. Especially Cubans. For myself I’ve found the lower end ones are exactly that just a good decent smoke
I’ve smoked some aged party shorts /Juan Lopez h upmann mag 46s random others. Like all of them but they still were just good cigars. Nothing has blossomed into anything I’d spend the money they’re asking for today.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here’s my take on this….I have multiple boxes of Los Statos De Lixe Delerios from the early 90s that are amazing! As are the vast majority of the boxes in my collection from the late 90’s and early 2000’s. So your original question asked if aging these are worth it and I say if you have the space the answer is yes. They cost the same, or used to, as domestic smokes and IMO taste better.

Heres the bottom line on buying, collecting, aging cigars. There are price increases every year passed on by vendors who don’t want to eat the regional distributors and ultimately Habanos SA‘s increase. So in the past thirty years my collection has increased 15% per year on base price….then tack on a further % increase every 5 years for aged boxes/cabs, then add an even bigger % increase for cigars that aren’t produced anymore, and an even bigger % increase for 50 cabs or larger cigars, and the biggest % increase for 20+ year old intact boxes. In the end they are just like wine, champagne, burbon, cigars appreciate in value if stored correctly and represent not only daily enjoyment but an investment opportunity

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Monte 5 will settle down, and you'll get more of the complexity and flavor that's hiding under the rough exterior as they settle.

Quinteros will also settle... and you'll realize there's not much there under the rough exterior. It's still better, more tolerable without the rough edges, but it won't likely develop something that wasn't there already.

That's the likelihood, at least. But there will be some variance, as in all handmade things. I've had flat Montes and actually somewhat brilliant Jose L Piedras and Quinteros... but that's definitely not the normal experience.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yes Yes Yes I have some monte #5's from the 80's 90's and they are all outstanding and have changed 100% so rich and tasty! I have had some 80's Quinteros and they have become quite interesting in there flavors. Guantanemero Machine-made, using short-filler
tobacco from the lesser Vuelta Arriba region. They are cheap cigars made for the mass-market.
Its not going to hurt but I would not expect much! That being said I have had some outstanding machine-made cigars from the 80's but they were name brands Punch, Bolivar, Por Larranaga, RA ect. and all in cello,

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you gentlemen. At the price I paid for these boxes I don‘t expect them to develop much, but it sounds like a few of them have some potential.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
JLP Petite Cabellaros with 3-4 years of age at 3 dollars a stick are a STEAL. I’ve purchased 15 12ct boxes in the last two years alone. (recently they were 2.76 or 133 a 48ct at a vendor) I bought another 8 boxes.