What's new

Aging

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
This is truley an excellent thread.

The way I see it for me, at the pace I'm at right now, I will probably have an Avallo 1000/1200 or equivalent by this time next year. Hopefully by then I will have some aged boxes in the cooler, which is likely to happen soon.

For crying out loud, I got a Vicksburg for Christmas and the SOB is 85% full already.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
wasch_24 said:
This is truley an excellent thread.

The way I see it for me, at the pace I'm at right now, I will probably have an Avallo 1000/1200 or equivalent by this time next year. Hopefully by then I will have some aged boxes in the cooler, which is likely to happen soon.

For crying out loud, I got a Vicksburg for Christmas and the SOB is 85% full already.
I hear you on this buddy. I bought an End Table unit in November and was 1/2-2/3 full at that point; just last week I bought a 64qt cooler and almost have that 1/2 full now:)

Rating - 100%
15   0   1
I have been asked about this by a member here. Mcgoo is correct fcor long term aging. What I do with my boxes for long term again is place them in food saver bags and remove about 90% of the air. I then place the box in the back of the humidor and forget about it. I have found that this also prevents the opening and looking as well as checking that constantly reintroduces the cigars to air.

This is what works for me. I have also tested this method with hte humididty levels and they stay at 62-64% for me.

Seg..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My "secret" to Marks and my formula to ageing wasn't to go for a certain amount of boxes at all.... in my beginning (pre cabinet.. still on a 100ct humi..I decided that the way I would build my collection was to firstly replace every cigar I smoke with two other cigars (could be the same... the collection grew and the interest in ageing started.... I selected 3-4 marquees to start off with.. made a rule of that for every box I break open, I had to replace with 2 boxes.....soon enough I had enough sitting and ageing and still enough to maintain my normal smoking habit of them.. for my budget I had to restrict other purchases to fivers etc to satisfy my curiosity of what other cigars I wanted to try...

soo in short.. 2 for one stick works for both quickly building up a collection in terms of numbers and variety and also once that is where you are happy, in terms of starting an ageing process....the secret is really to stick the system (makes you think twice before breaking a box from the vitola you are ageing when the budget is tight...).. and also .. make sure you have enough other singles and fivers to try from other marquees......

I also have sometimes resorted to buying a fiver of say, partagas psd 4 even though I have quite a few boxes ageing because I wanted some to smoke and didn't want to break up a box (and having to fork out for 2 boxes just because I felt like smoking one...)..

Those who know a little about me and my smoking habits knows that I predominantly smoke -96-98 cigars at the moment... (from the vitolas I am ageing...) and have been using this system since 93-94... so far so good..

In the beginning I only collected and aged a couple of different vitolas.. now I am ageing about 18 different vitolas with about 4 boxes of each in the rotation..

The thing is, once you have enough smokes to get you by (highly subjective number).. you don't smoke up a box so quickly as you constantly changing from vitola to vitola.. smoking from other singles or fivers and other boxes outside of the replacement system...so it really isn't a big deal but works... the boxes of the ageing vitolas I am now buying are to be smoked in about 8-9 years if I keep smoking in the same pace... and that is without even trying to stay away from any box because it is ageing meanwhile....

hope that helps as an alternative to having to figure out number of boxes that you have to buy each year etc (eventhough I was part of working out that system too)..

cheers