What's new

Ah, fresh bud...

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I mean "buds" as in.... tastebuds. As I find myself in the midst of yet another taste profile preference change, (seems to happen every 5 years or so) I've been looking at newer ways to cleanse and refresh my palate. Some old standards work well e.g. water, club soda, some wines and spirits and have been used successfully by many of us for a long time. In the end, we use whatever method works best for our individual set of taste receptors. This time however (while going through my recurrent training on the subject) - I really wanted to figure out/ relearn more of the science and biology of what was happening when I recalled this article:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigaradvisor/smoking-drinking-and-the-benefits-of-cleansing-your-palate/

The article contains good information on "cleansing" the palate (as opposed to pairing drinks with our beloved leaf) which is exactly what I was after.

Give it a read and let me know your thoughts?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting article. Also, it seems that you've been taking a page from iflscience.com with your headlines...

Misleading?

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Here's something I found that was interesting.
Unorthodox palate cleansers:

• Sparkling water, with or without a twist of citrus
  • Lightly brewed green, black, or mint tea, with minimal sweetener
  • Celery sticks or fresh tart apples
  • A sprig of parsley
  • Flat water with a twist of citrus
I have also heard of people using crackers (water cracker or saltines), as well as, good white bread to help cleanse the palate.

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I usually use pellegrino with lime to clear my palate. The effervescent effect of the carbonation actually helps to "pull" the smoke residue off your palate while the acidity from the lime helps rebalance the pH in your mouth to a neutral state (since cigars are alkaline).

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yup pelligrino is my go to I was getting low so I just got another couple cases haha, Safeway does 4 for 5 sometimes and you can find their dollar off 3 or more bottles. End result is 4 liter bottles for 4 bucks. That's a college pelligrino hack haha.
I usually use pellegrino with lime to clear my palate. The effervescent effect of the carbonation actually helps to "pull" the smoke residue off your palate while the acidity from the lime helps rebalance the pH in your mouth to a neutral state (since cigars are alkaline).

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Yup pelligrino is my go to I was getting low so I just got another couple cases haha, Safeway does 4 for 5 sometimes and you can find their dollar off 3 or more bottles. End result is 4 liter bottles for 4 bucks. That's a college pelligrino hack haha.
Don't get me started on "college hacks" young padawan. I put those bitches on "Extreme Couponing" to shame. That's what happens when you put an Asian and a Jew together and tell them to be frugal.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I do seltzer with a twist of lime and lemon. Works wonders.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Interesting article. I usually drink water or a very light beer unless I am smoking a full body cigar and want something to accentuate the flavors. I'll try adding lemon next time. Perhaps a weak vodka tonic with a twist.