What's new

Air cleaners

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making a den out of our loft. My wife doesn't mind my pipe, but cigars are a bit strong for her. I there a good, reasonably priced air cleaner/filter that would handle cigar smoke before it leaves the area (something that really works). We have a cathedral ceiling and the loft occupies half of that area. I don't like the idea of window fans in the loft sucking out heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. Thanks, Al

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I totally agree with 'kyleb.' An exhaust fan is the surefire way to go. From the research I've done, an suggestons I've received (I plan on smething similar soon) Penn Barry seems to be the best exhaust fan for the money, performance and reliability. HERE is their site. Poke around on there, lots of options, whether it be a ceiling, wall or inline fan.

If you are set on an air cleaner/purifier, I have four air purifiers throughout my place:

(1) Blueair 501 - expensive ~$500, but really gets the job done, great for large rooms, quiet until it gets to the highest speed then it's like a jet taking off - 601 model is $100 more but no difference except side intake vents.

(1) Kenmore Evirosense (larger model) - ~$250, got mine for $200 I think, most Sears' have them on sale. Great unit for medium sized rooms very quiet. My preferred purifier for bedroom/office something around 16x16. Also an Ionizer.

(2) Neoair Enviro Plus - ~$300, I got two for $500 on some website. Alright purifier, performes best in small bedrooms, something 12x12. I use both in one room, and together they perform slightly better than the Kenmore. Also an Ionizer, plus it has a place to put scented oils or those little scent-cans you see at carwashes.

The Kenmore has the best design, but according to the Blueair's packaging, it won a Swedish Design Award, personally I think it's ugly, and it's big, about 26"x10"x16", that's going off memory. For a loft, even a den, which will be a smoking lounge, I think an exhaust fan would work best, but the money involved is obviously much greater than air cleaners/purifiers. Getting the smell of smoke out of a room is difficult, an ozone purifier, like a Csonka is a good idea for after you smoke. The company says you can run it all year, but I wouldn't do that, after you smoke for an hour or two is fine. One of the BOTL sponsors, www.cigarmony.com, sells the Csonka ozone purifiers.

These are just my opinions, good luck!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I also spoke with my friends at King Street Coffee & Tobacco Emporium (Martinsburg, WV) today and they also suggested the exhaust fan. I believe that's the way I'll go. Al

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exhaust fan in my smoking room and definetely recommend going that route, but if you did go with a purifier I hear Smoke Eaters are popular. They get used in bars a lot.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best setup actually is a combination of an exhaust fan and a tiny purifier. I run a 1200 CFM exhaust fan and then once i'm done in the room I turn on a tiny Csonka O2 purifier. The O2 neutralizes the smell of any remaining smoke that may have latched onto carpet, furniture, etc. That purifier is best used in a closed room and definetely is a suppliment and not an entire solution.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Go for the exhaust fan PLUS the O2 purifier. It's yer best chance and will take any smell out in a matter of minutes.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The best setup actually is a combination of an exhaust fan and a tiny purifier. I run a 1200 CFM exhaust fan and then once i'm done in the room I turn on a tiny Csonka O2 purifier. The O2 neutralizes the smell of any remaining smoke that may have latched onto carpet, furniture, etc. That purifier is best used in a closed room and definetely is a suppliment and not an entire solution.
Welcome to BOTL. Drop by the intro thread and tell us about yourself.

Wagz

Großartig Hurensohn
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Great info. I was just planning on making a smoking room and didn't want everything in there to start stinkin'.

What about the "air purifying" candles that so many online cigar stores advertise? Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they at all useful?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Where did you guys get your exhaust fans and how much did they cost? I'm in the middle of doing my man cave and an exhaust fan was the only option. However, I've been on the websites of both Home Depot and Lowe's and they only show bath room type exhaust fans.

Thanks

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Where did you guys get your exhaust fans and how much did they cost? I'm in the middle of doing my man cave and an exhaust fan was the only option. However, I've been on the websites of both Home Depot and Lowe's and they only show bath room type exhaust fans.

Thanks
I looked at two basic types. Std exhaust like in a bathroom and in-line where the fan is near the outside vent and pulls from the room. I bought a quiet std exhaust type that vents about five feet to the outside. Works well for two people but bogs down at three or four. Bought it at Lowes special order.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I looked at two basic types. Std exhaust like in a bathroom and in-line where the fan is near the outside vent and pulls from the room. I bought a quiet std exhaust type that vents about five feet to the outside. Works well for two people but bogs down at three or four. Bought it at Lowes special order.
Thanks Chuck