What's new

Airports

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What is your experience with cigars at airports? I am taking a trip next week and decided to fly at the last minute. I’m worried about taking anything along now because I don’t want tsa touching or damaging anything. Worse yet, it is probably too late to buy a travel humidor at this point.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Harbor Freight or Northern Tool retail should have the inexpensive tuff cases. I swear by them, just remember if you fly they need to have a screw type vent or it will be impossible to open after you land. You could drill a small hole in the case and just cover with tape if it comes down to it. Leave the cellos on if worried about your cigars being handled or put in a ziplock inside the traveldor. Don't bother bringing a lighter unless you want to take the chance it will be confiscated, can't have fuel in them regardless.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had no issue. Agee with the lighter comment, unless it’s a soft light like a bic. You can bring a cutter without issue, i would probably put it in a checked bag. I’ve carried cutters on nearly every flight, but not worth the risk if you check bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I hear that torches and cutters are hit and miss with TSA - I always check mine so it’s never been an issue. The one time I was flying without a check bag, I pre-cut my sticks at home and bought a cheap torch when I got there.

Cigars will be fine without humidity for a few days; if you’re worried about damaging them, you can always just stuff some in a box with a bunch of bubble wrap / paper towels / socks / crumpled pages from a CI catalog. Or ship them to your destination so they’re waiting for you when you get there

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the info. @Boudie can you send a link to the cases you like? I checked out harbor freight and I’m not sure I see any screw top cases.

I’ll be sure to pre cut the cigars. I actually use matches at the moment. I had a Xicar and loved it but it broke on a move (my fault.). I went to buy another one and the lady talked me into a cheap junk brand that starts with V instead for some reason. It broke after about a year (their fault) so I bought another cheapo, same brand, and it started leaking butane (their fault). I discovered I prefer the burn from matches, but I’ll probably get another lighter for convenience eventually as long as it is a decent brand.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
No need tp pre-cut cigars. I have flown at least once a month for the past 10 years and have never had an issue with TSA and my cutter. Ever. it might be different with a scissors type cutter but my guillotine cutters have never even been given a second look.

As far as lighters, I carry cheap plastic torch lighters which are less likely to get picked up on the x-ray equipment by TSA. I still get one confiscated now and then but if I do I am only out $5. if it does get confiscated, I then go and buy another cheapie when I get to my destination.

If you cannot find a travel humidor, I would suggest going to Walmart and buying a small tupper. They also have cheap plastic torch lighters in the checkout lanes for around $5.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the TSA website has a FAQ's page and they have a section on bringing smoking materials on flights. I know that torch lighters are a nogo either carry on or checked, you can always call ahead and check with the TSA supervisor at the airport you are traveling from for up to date info.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Eagle torch lighters. If one gets seized, no big deal. If half of them only work for 3-4 refills, no big deal. $19 and I am pretty much set for lighters for 18 months minimum.

I put them in my carry on (maybe 40 times in the last 5 years) and have yet to have one seized.