What's new

All in on wet shaving now

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the college handout "starter sets" worked on me. In 1990, when I was checking in to Michigan Tech, I was handed a bucket of travel size items as part of the process. In the bucket were a Gillette Sensor razor and a can of Edge Gel "sensitive" cream. I stuck with those two products for over 15 years. I struggled a whole lot with what my wife and I refer to as "tree trunks" along my jaw line - ingrown hairs that were a couple times normal size. I started using witch hazel or various creams and gels to try to reduce them. Sensor cartridges became hard to find, and more expensive. I hated the 4 and 5 blade razor designs - looked like shaving with a cheese grater. Eventually I switched to Nivea shave cream, and the ingrowns decreased a bit, but not totally.

Two years ago, on a business trip, I stumbled across an "Art of Shaving" shop. I looked at prices, thought it was insane, but I talked to one of the employees about my ingrown hair problem, and she told me that shaving with a brush often helped people with that, and that a razor upgrade (to one of their higher-end Gillette Mach 3-compatible handles) would help. I walked out without buying anything, but thought about it.

A few weeks later, I bought a Gillette Mach 3 and a cheap badger brush from Target. My wife got me a travel kit from AOS for Christmas that year. And I've been using AOS pre-shave oil, AOS cream, and that Mach 3 since. Ingrown hairs are almost completely eliminated, but I hate how much the blades cost. I've pondered a DE razor. Not sure which one or how to get started.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in that same AOS store where I started down this slope. They had one Merkur HD handle left. They now have none. Had my first DE shave this morning. First try wasn't as close as my old cartridge, but I can feel the potential. I know I need aftershave of some sort. Also placed an order for a blade sampler, stand, and a puck of Harris Arlington.

Much like getting me started on the Coolerdor, I blame you all for this. Hope you're happy.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Welcome to our world. Like Lipher said once you get into the technique that works best for you and once you try all the different soaps and cremes you will be asking why you didn't do this sooner. Trust me the experience and ritual are just like a cigar it makes the troubles of the world disappear. If you have any questions all the brothers here myself included will definitely help. Happy shaving brother.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Welcome to the club. I'll never switch back to a cartridge for my face. I love my DE.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey, send me a PM with your addy and I would gladly send you a few blade to try with your DE.

I had an ingrown hair issue as well, it was a problem with my Mach 3. It was about 3 weeks and my wife comments on the noticeable improvement and the fact the my face was whisker free longer in the day (when using the 3-pass technique) than it had ever been with the Mach 3.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Glad to see another victim fall. I too was dragged in to DE shaving by reading the posts here, and I'm so glad to have made the leap. I'll never go back...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I just bought myself a DE razor today. I am down to my last Mach 3 cartridge and they're about all I can stand. Ever cartridge post Mach3 irritates my face and feels like I'm shaving with a lawn mower. I even just recently did a consumer insight shaving study at my former university. I got paid $50 to shave three times. Once with a (what I think was a shick) disposable, and then shick slimy self lubricating cartridges. Left my face feeling like a snail crawled across it.

Anyhow I figure a good razor is the price of a pack of cartridges and the replacement blades are super cheap. I picked up a Edwin Jagger 89LBL off amazon for $32. I'll give my normal shaving routine in the shower a go, but I may have to step out and employ the services of a mirror the first couple times around. I haven't used a "normal" shave cream/gel for years. I started to use a non-latering cream and eventually just switched to using a Burt's Bee's Soap Bark and Chamomile face wash to shave with. I like the way it makes my face feel so I'll give that a go first but switch out the shaving implement.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
…I picked up a Edwin Jagger 89LBL off amazon for $32…
Welcome - although I've been ABTSR wet-shaving for years (all but the safety razor), I picked up the same Edwin Jagger razor that you did; I love it!

I am still refining my technique a bit as there is one spot I just can't seem to get as smooth as I'd like, but overall I like it far more than my Gillette ProFusion Glide Power Ultra Turbo-ized Razor Supreme (or whatever the hell it's called).