What's new

Alt Pipe Blend Recommendations

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Pipe noob here.. I've been working my way through a few samples, and keep coming up on great blends that are just too htf for a noob like me to chase..
Any recommendations on alt blends for some of the htf stuff, like Margate, Penzance, Sobraine Balkan(or something like that), or Elizabethan?
These are all blends I've tried, liked, and can't find! I'm hoping there's a "close enough" blend I should go check out..

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I just had a ton of that stuff that was botl only silly haha
Eh, dollar late, and a buck short.. But I'm hoping for leads on some GOOD comparable blends to start my noob cellar with.. I mean, I don't want to start off buying total BS just because it had a fancy description from the store :playful:

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Pipe noob here.. I've been working my way through a few samples, and keep coming up on great blends that are just too htf for a noob like me to chase..
Any recommendations on alt blends for some of the htf stuff, like Margate, Penzance, Sobraine Balkan(or something like that), or Elizabethan?
These are all blends I've tried, liked, and can't find! I'm hoping there's a "close enough" blend I should go check out..
Don't sweat the HTF stuff right now. Here are a few thoughts on comparable
Penzance- GLP quiet nights
Balkan Sobranie- try PS Balkan Supreme
Elizabethan is easy to obtain but there's a ton of VA/Per blends- try St James Flake, Beacon, St. James Woods etc
The HTF stuff comes around couple times a year. There are sooo many good blends out there.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You picked a few of the most premier labels in the hobby. They're always in high demand for good reason.

Penzance has no equal. Just gotta strike when you can there.

If you like a full English like Margate, give Dunhill Standard Mixture a shot.

H&H White Knight is a pretty popular Balkan Sobranie match. It's definitely in the ballpark, and worth a shot, but kinda like Jim Beam and Willett are both bourbons. It's a quality thing.

Elizabethan shouldn't be too hard to find, but if you're having trouble, I really enjoy GL Pease Fillmore as an alternative VaPer. Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls should be on your list. And Peter Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake smokes well too and can be bought for a really good price, especially in bulk.

Some non-boutique wildcards for you that make my rotation are: McClelland 5100 red cake, Presbyterian Mixture, Squadron Leader (new to me, but a solid, easy medium English), GL Pease Gaslight, & C&D Bayou Morning.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Don't sweat the HTF stuff right now. Here are a few thoughts on comparable
Penzance- GLP quiet nights
Balkan Sobranie- try PS Balkan Supreme
Elizabethan is easy to obtain but there's a ton of VA/Per blends- try St James Flake, Beacon, St. James Woods etc
The HTF stuff comes around couple times a year. There are sooo many good blends out there.
Is PS Balkan Supreme the same as Arango Balkan Supreme?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Second for bullseye flake it's incredibly good and very inexpensive. Balkan blue in place of Balkan sobranie. As others have said, Elizabethan is readily available brother!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is PS Balkan Supreme the same as Arango Balkan Supreme?
It is. SP confirmed this a while back.

@mjones9630 - you might want to check out some blends from the UK blenders which are much easier to find. Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader might scratch the same itch as Margate, and they also have other latakia blends like Skiff, Commonwealth, Balkan Flake etc. All worth checking out. Gawith Hoggarth is definitely worth exploring, too. Oh, and McClellands in the US makes some great Balkan/English blends.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thanks guys! I've been reading through TR, but honestly, there are so many blends, with such similar descriptions.. Figured I'd just ask y'all about some favs to shorten the list (I'm lazy that way):playful:
Lol, one of the biggest drawbacks I've found about starting the hobby here is being turned on to the "advanced" stuff.. Watching the threads to see what everyone else is smoking on to get recommendations kinda makes you skip the whole buying "CI sampler" stage and go straight for the gold! :ROFLMAO:

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
You picked a few of the most premier labels in the hobby. They're always in high demand for good reason.

Penzance has no equal. Just gotta strike when you can there.

If you like a full English like Margate, give Dunhill Standard Mixture a shot.

H&H White Knight is a pretty popular Balkan Sobranie match. It's definitely in the ballpark, and worth a shot, but kinda like Jim Beam and Willett are both bourbons. It's a quality thing.

Elizabethan shouldn't be too hard to find, but if you're having trouble, I really enjoy GL Pease Fillmore as an alternative VaPer. Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls should be on your list. And Peter Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake smokes well too and can be bought for a really good price, especially in bulk.

Some non-boutique wildcards for you that make my rotation are: McClelland 5100 red cake, Presbyterian Mixture, Squadron Leader (new to me, but a solid, easy medium English), GL Pease Gaslight, & C&D Bayou Morning.
Thanks for the lengthy write-up.. Very helpful!