What's new

Altria—the largest tobacco concern in the United States—wrote "We agree with FDA..."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Altria—the parent of Nat Sherman and the $25 billion company behind Marlboro cigarettes, and the largest tobacco concern in the United States—asked the FDA to NOT exempt the small, handmade premium cigar industry from its tobacco regulations. Nat Sherman brands include premium handmade cigars such as Timeless and Metropolitan.

It might be time to write Nat Sherman off the buy list.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had one nat sherman and it was completely underfilled and the only noticeable flavor was dirt. What are the proposed new regulations anyway?
Gotta read the news, man. FDA proposed new rules go back to the Obama admission. People think the new rules would kill premium hand-rolled cigar business in and shipping to the US.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Gotta read the news, man. FDA proposed new rules go back to the Obama admission. People think the new rules would kill premium hand-rolled cigar business in and shipping to the US.
Yeah I’m admitedly terrible at staying up to date with current events. But that all sounds like big steaming pile of suck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m admitedly terrible at staying up to date with current events. But that all sounds like big steaming pile of suck.
It’s a shrewd business move by Altria. Good for them, but bad for the industry as a whole. They’re simply trying to put smaller brands out of business. Small companies can’t afford the costs that come with the regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big difference is Altria is the cigarette gorilla and not a handmade cigar company. The cigarette fight was over 45 to 50 years ago. Cigarettes and premium handmade cigars are comparable like apples and bananas. Only about 300 million handmade cigars are made per year vs 300 mil cigarettes just got smoked when you blinked your eye.

Here is the impact assessment:

The ruling establishes a predicate date of February 15, 2007 for products to be verified by the FDA.

There is a lot of gray area here – so here’s an easier breakdown.
  • If a cigar blend/brand was on the market for sale before February 15, 2007, it is essentially “grandfathered” into the market.
  • If the cigar blend/brand was introduced for sale on or after February 16, 2007 but before the effective date noted above (August 8, 2016), the cigar manufacturer has 2 years to keep the blend available for sale before it must be submitted to the FDA for testing of “substantial equivalence”; meaning that the cigar “has been found by the FDA to either have the same characteristics as a predicate tobacco product; or has different characteristics than the predicate tobacco product but the information submitted demonstrates that the new product does not raise different questions of public health [fda.gov].” The cigar may remain on the market for an additional year (until 2019) while the substantial equivalence testing is completed.
  • If the cigar blend/brand is to be introduced for sale on or after August 9, 2016, it must be submitted for premarket substantial equivalence testing – meaning it cannot be marketed and sold until the testing application has been approved by the FDA.
There’s an interesting discussion of the legislation and the why’s of the predicate date here at Cigar Coop’s website. What’s unclear: it would be logical to expect that the FDA would still want to test the grandfathered brands; how that would be done has not been specified. Neither has the inner workings of the testing process, including (a) the actual cost to the manufacturer for submitting his or her product; (b) how long the testing process will take; (c) what steps constitute the testing process; (d) whether a manufacturer has recourse to appeal or be exempted from the FDA testing process; and (e) what happens to a product’s ability to be marketed and sold if the testing process takes longer than a year. Additional questions are raised when we look at the standards dictated in the “equivalence” – what are the baseline metrics or benchmarks against which the affected cigars are being tested, and who selects them? That hasn’t been clearly defined either. As to what constitutes a product that’s to be tested, it’s still unclear to us if we’re talking about a cigar brand, a blend, or each individual size/shape available in a line.

As for Cuban cigars, their future in America seems more cloudy, even as the doors to diplomacy are slowly being pried open. They haven’t been available for sale in the U.S. since 1961 – and no one is sure if the Cubans or their distributors have the resources to submit their cigars for FDA testing, or even would be willing to do so.

Many of the cigar makers in this business have generations of tobacco history in their family history. A family history that, if it went through Cuba, saw their fathers and grandfathers jailed, beaten and shot, with their livelihoods looted by Fidel Castro and his true believers. They were forced from their homes with nothing in their pockets, and rebuilt their businesses from scratch; don’t underestimate their willingness to figure out a way to do it again. And for those who maybe don’t have such a storied pedigree, like boutique cigar makers – they’ve built impressive businesses, and they’re not about to give them up that easily. And they all have one thing in common: premium cigar makers don’t target kids, and they don’t tolerate underage smoking.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The FDA will get their way.
Inclined to agree in principle, but not sure how it will play out in practice.

20 years ago I'd have fully expected the hammer to drop, and anything they could ban they would.
But tobacco doesn't come across like the big bad it used to be.
Worrying about kids smoking seems sorta like putting parental advisory stickers on album covers. Sorta quaint, really.
A concern from another era.

These days, I think the FDA might win and then promptly proceed to rubber stamp whatever comes across their desk.
So long as the requisite fees are paid, of course.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Inclined to agree in principle, but not sure how it will play out in practice.

20 years ago I'd have fully expected the hammer to drop, and anything they could ban they would.
But tobacco doesn't come across like the big bad it used to be.
Worrying about kids smoking seems sorta like putting parental advisory stickers on album covers. Sorta quaint, really.
A concern from another era.

These days, I think the FDA might win and then promptly proceed to rubber stamp whatever comes across their desk.
So long as the requisite fees are paid, of course.
That’s what it’s all about... collecting their part

But it will come

It’s tobacco... it WILL happen.

Same will go for vapes ... it’s just the beginning

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I own a cigar shop and I dropped Nats entire line when Altria bought them. Altria is big tobacco and that is the premium cigar business enemy. They were good selling cigars but there are so many more choices to choose from. The main problem with boycotting them is that even if they closed NS they are too big to feel it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is predictable, text book corporate strategy. Use power and connections (government agencies in this case) to put the smaller competitors out of business. When you can't win on the strength of your product use brute force.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the same mindset as you all, until I read this article. I still don't like that the FDA wants to regulate, but the author of this piece makes a lot of good points. Specifically, when it comes to a now or later regulation.

I happen to be anti regulation in most things, as I see regulation a gross overstep by the government. I am not saying that the FDA should oversee premium tobacco (or tobacco in general). The 'okay with some, but not all' standpoint can be a slippery slope, but I would rather small regulation now rather than huge regulation later. (of course, no regulation is best, but it's not going to happen)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I was under the same mindset as you all, until I read this article. I still don't like that the FDA wants to regulate, but the author of this piece makes a lot of good points. Specifically, when it comes to a now or later regulation.

I happen to be anti regulation in most things, as I see regulation a gross overstep by the government. I am not saying that the FDA should oversee premium tobacco (or tobacco in general). The 'okay with some, but not all' standpoint can be a slippery slope, but I would rather small regulation now rather than huge regulation later. (of course, no regulation is best, but it's not going to happen)
Good read Angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk