btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm balls deep into the Philips Hue eco system and I noticed that they have some starter kits that are on Prime. I'm probably going to grab a couple of these to use for gifts throughout the year.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Thats a good price if its 3rd gen. I want.
Well, there is no way to know if it's 3rd party or not because Philips hasn't updated the content (imagery or descriptions) on any of the online sites where they sell their products. It's impossible to know until it arrives, unfortunately. In store, you can obviously look at the box and know for a fact. Online, crap shoot. The only real advantage to 3rd Gen is the truer green color spectrum. The 2nd Gen bulbs are great, too so it's not a complete loss. Especially at the price point Amazon has them at right now.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'm balls deep into the Philips Hue eco system and I noticed that they have some starter kits that are on Prime. I'm probably going to grab a couple of these to use for gifts throughout the year.
That's a great deal.

I fully transitioned to LED fixtures for the whole house recently so no more actual light bulbs otherwise I'd jump on that

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I fully transitioned to LED fixtures for the whole house recently so no more actual light bulbs otherwise I'd jump on that
Do you use the Alexa feature? Been thinking about getting the Tap....
I've transitioned most of my house to the Philips Hue eco-system. I have the white A19 bulbs throughout the master bedroom, hallways, staircase, kitchen, living room, multiple closets, pantry, and laundry room. Then I have the BR30's in all of my can lights in the living room, playroom, and "theatre". I have the LED strips under our kitchen cabinets and I'm about to install them under our deck's railing for downlighting. I have all of them automated to turn on/off/dim during certain times. Also, I do have the Tap for the "theatre" and I have a couple Dimmer Switches throughout the house for ease of use. I also have a motion sensor setup in every closet, the pantry, and the laundry room because my daughters (and wife) are notorious for leaving the lights on. This way, they automatically turn off the Hue bulbs associated to the sensor after 1 minute of no motion.

Beyond that, I do not use Alexa nor Google Home because they all connect with my Apple HomeKit so I can use Siri on my iOS devices as well as the remote on my Apple TVs. However, I will get an Apple HomePod this December and it will sync up with all of these lights as well.

Then, there are apps that you can download to really unlock their potential. The Theatre and Living Room TVs will make the lights turn on different colors to match the colors on the screen, there is a music app where the lights sync to whatever song you are listening to, and using the IFTTT app I have them doing different "recipes" for all sorts of things. I freaking love it! haha

I'm only mentioning all of this (and it should probably be its own thread (sorry OP)) to say, if you have any questions on this stuff, I'm here to help! It was a bit of a PITA when I started it because there wasn't a lot of information out there at the time. Now there are quite a few YouTube videos to get some ideas but I am more than happy to help any of you guys with any questions you might have.

NOTE: for these lights to work, you have to have a Philips Hue Bridge which is connected to your Router. One bridge can control up to 50 Hue Products and the bridge is included in many starter kits.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Well bought the Echo too...bought my dad one a few years back when it first came out and he loves it. My brother uses his all the time as well. At 50% it seems like a steal...

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Well bought the Echo too...bought my dad one a few years back when it first came out and he loves it. My brother uses his all the time as well. At 50% it seems like a steal...
I wouldn't argue that at all. If it wasn't for Siri, I would have bought the Echo a long time ago. But at the Apple Keynote in June, when they announced the HomePod, I'm ashamed for how stupid excited I became.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I wouldn't argue that at all. If it wasn't for Siri, I would have bought the Echo a long time ago. But at the Apple Keynote in June, when they announced the HomePod, I'm ashamed for how stupid excited I became.
Ohh cool, when does that get released? I assume it has better speaker quality?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Ohh cool, when does that get released? I assume it has better speaker quality?
Apple says it will be a true speaker with AI in it. So, it should easily out perform the Echo and Google Assistant from a sound quality. They release it in December this year.

Also, since I accidentally thread jacked this one from the OP (SORRY!), I started a different thread here: http://www.botl.org/threads/philips-hue-eco-system.90566/

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Looking at a couple of the chef knifes for the wife...Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet on there. Still looking when I get free time.

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Only thing I WAS interested in is potentially getting a regular Kindle, the refurbed ones are $39. But even that's money I dont need to spend, I have a perfectly good Kindle Touch WITH 3G, which is more important.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Only thing I'm really interested in is potentially getting a regular Kindle, the refurbed ones are $39. But even that's money I dont need to spend, I have a perfectly good Kindle Touch.
That looks like a plea for a Kindle bombing, D... Better hope some of the crazy BOTLs don't see this.